Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5lt stalling

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
executive vt 5.0lt VZ CREWMAN
last fri night misses driveing car and kept stalling, got nrma out could not work it out so had it towed to mates workshop when thay checked it out thay could not get key to turn replaced barrel checked alternator fuel pressure ect got it back today stalled 3 times on the way home last time flatend battery got a jump start started straight away got it home then stalled when ideling, cleaned battery terminals started ,went to shop stalled while ideling came out of shops got home stalled again?? done a bit of looking at other posts could be a number of things driveing me mad eny ideas thanks:wax:

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
First thing I'd be checking is the ignition module... From there the coil pack.. Both common issues with the 5L..

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
As ashbox said.

I would go:

1. Ignition Coil (if in the factory mounting spot behind the engine they get hot and die), if thats the case get a new one and relocate to the firewall.

2. Ignition Module (also common to die as said above)

3. HAL Effect sensor under the dizzy cap, these are similar to the Crank Angle Sensor on a V6.....if it's failed the car won't start and can cause stalling symptoms when they first start going.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds more like the Hall Effect sensor(s) - the VT distributor has two, one for the crank and one for the cam). Sometimes easier to replace the whole distributor. Ignition module is the easiest to test if you can get a loan of a good one. When you say you live in the western suburbs, I presume you mean Sydney???

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds more like the Hall Effect sensor(s) - the VT distributor has two, one for the crank and one for the cam). Sometimes easier to replace the whole distributor. Ignition module is the easiest to test if you can get a loan of a good one. When you say you live in the western suburbs, I presume you mean Sydney???

yer sydney where is ignition module at does the 5lt have a cas not easy to change dizzy on these things would have to pull of manifold i just done that a few months ago for gaskets yer i know where the coil is located looking at other posts could anything

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
well done a bit of looking, and go with the module being stuffed found where it was easy change but eny where from $230-285

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Since you seem to be short of coin, why don't you try this person on eBay - $210 and you get $100 back when you send him your old module. That's pretty cheap when you are not sure whether the problem is your ignition module. In the past I've spent around $135 for exchange ignition modules and they have worked well.

EXCHANGE Holden Commodore Ignition Module V8 V6 5.0 + 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
Since you seem to be short of coin, why don't you try this person on eBay - $210 and you get $100 back when you send him your old module. That's pretty cheap when you are not sure whether the problem is your ignition module. In the past I've spent around $135 for exchange ignition modules and they have worked well.

EXCHANGE Holden Commodore Ignition Module V8 V6 5.0 + 1 YEAR WARRANTY | eBay

yer thanks for that, i looked at ebay but did not see that one, im getting one tomorrow local pick up $185 exchange recon 2 yr warrenty, been upgraded so see how we go, i try this and still playing up must be the dizzy ,but looking at this blokes site all the symtons point to the module,dont want to stuff around with dizzy to hard to get to

gungazza

Reaction score
Members Ride
well got the module, first haveing a beer then out to put it in ill let you,s know how i go