Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5ltr cuts out going round corner

craig vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5LTR
i wrote up awhile ago about my 5ltr cutting out when you go around a corner and give it abit of a boot, i read some of the other posts about it and took the fuel tank out and checked one of the hoses that peole said could come of but that was all fine still connected, is there any other solution that you know of that could cause this, some one said something about the coil but where the hell have they stashed that, is it behind the dizzy, what i want to know as well is there anyone who has replaced their in tank fuel pump for an external pump and if so what did you use and how dd you do it cheers, may sound like dumb questions but i want to be able to go around a corner once in a while and be able to put my foot down with out it cutting out

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's normally the surge pot in the tank that's broken off the floor of the tank or the pump not in it right. I haven't had it happen myself but thats what I've read

red truck

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY one tonner / gen3 / 6speed
I once had an old Valiant that used to do exactly the same thing. The guts of the coil was loose, and the windings inside would contact the coil body every time I went around a right hand corner. It was a bugger to diagnose, and only fixed it by chance when I accidentally dented the coil and replaced it.

Early VN V8 had them, but your 5L should not have the oil filled cylindrical type coil though, like the old Val.
That is unless you or previous owner has fitted one of those stupid Bosch GT40 coils?
And yes, it is jammed right down the back, below the inlet manifold. Follow the HT lead from centre of dizzy cap. Have some bandaids on standby, your hands will bleed. :D

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
i wrote up awhile ago about my 5ltr cutting out when you go around a corner and give it abit of a boot, i read some of the other posts about it and took the fuel tank out and checked one of the hoses that peole said could come of but that was all fine still connected, is there any other solution that you know of that could cause this, some one said something about the coil but where the hell have they stashed that, is it behind the dizzy, what i want to know as well is there anyone who has replaced their in tank fuel pump for an external pump and if so what did you use and how dd you do it cheers, may sound like dumb questions but i want to be able to go around a corner once in a while and be able to put my foot down with out it cutting out

If your car still cuts out on corners with a full tank of fuel then that rules out the swirly pot return line theory.... if it only cuts out when 2/3 or less then that points to the return line dislodged inside the tank.