Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5ltr throttle body

CPT James t

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Hi all, ok I'm in big trouble, idiot me brought a set of speed master ITBs for my vn 5 ltr. Yep go on get it out of your system , why did u do it???? you got warned this stuff comes back to bit you and it has, So now some 5 months in 6 x 5 ltr of oil 4 sets of gaskets. 4 tubes of sealer. 70$ on injector extensions having one side machined $110 it still leaks water into the block hence all the oil. I have had it running sounds awsome,but where do I go from here.on top of all the hours I have put in I have had to get a throttle cable made $100. Buy a fuel regulator & $50 eBay. All up I've spent almost $500 .i have contacted them and waiting a bullshit reply ,any idea.or thoughts pls be kind.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Few questions.
1) Are you using the bottom gaskets to seal the manifold to the block?

2) what sort of sealant are you using and where are you using it?

3) why did you have only one side of the manifold machined?

4) Have you checked that manifold bolts aren’t bottoming out in the threads?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
When I last did this I had to get some tricky details correct, I used a gasket kit from Holden:

-Mating faces for gaskets need to be clean and flat
-The new gaskets had to be installed with Rear correct and new plugs installed
-New front and rear seals had to be correctly installed
-Junctions between the gasket and seals had to be sealed with silicon. I only use oxygen sensor friendly silicon on the engine.
-Had to trial fit everything then apply the 3mm bead sealant around the coolant passages and fit the manifold before it went off
-Tighten bolts progressively from the centre like a cylinder head in 3 stages- finger tight, 12-17 Nm,34-41 Nm.

After all of this I still had a slight coolant leak from the front of the manifold/block so I add a bottle of Wynns Radiator Stop Leak every 30,000 km which stops it.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Those front/rear gaskets are the problem 90% of the time. Throw them in the bin and use ultra blue/black/grey.

CPT James t

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Few questions.
1) Are you using the bottom gaskets to seal the manifold to the block?

2) what sort of sealant are you using and where are you using it?

3) why did you have only one side of the manifold machined?

4) Have you checked that manifold bolts aren’t bottoming out in the threads?

CPT James t

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
hi mate. Do you mean gaskets at the front and rear, never used um .just use ultra blue. The front passenger side was wider than the back so got 16 thou tacked off. Made sure I put sealer round water ports,also put in k sealer. fail

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
I've actually been to their warehouse to check out their products up close & witnessed their customer service so this is not hearsay bs.

In simple terms take it all off & start over dude,just use products you know that actually fit properly & work well rather than constantly working on it again & again & again 'cos you know it's not worth the hassle.

CPT James t

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
I've actually been to their warehouse to check out their products up close & witnessed their customer service so this is not hearsay bs.

In simple terms take it all off & start over dude,just use products you know that actually fit properly & work well rather than constantly working on it again & again & again 'cos you know it's not worth the hassle.

CPT James t

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vn commodore
Yeah, all good advice. But now I'm almost 2k out of pocket, looks like old bananas back on. Just waiting for them to reply after the 3 Jan, should be interesting, bad feedback hurts , also I can right a product review on there site lol lol