Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5ltr V8 exhaust

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
G’day, just wondering what exhaust system sounds best for a 5ltr VS V8 Ute. I currently have upgraded extractors and single 3’ exhaust but was wondering if a twin 2.5’ system would sound better? I am after something loud whilst still sounding tuff! Let me know your thoughts!
Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Depends what your sound preference is, exhaust note is very subjective.

You say you currently have a 3". I'm guessing you have the factory 2.25" y pipe into a single cat before the 3"? this will be whats killing your sound. You need to go a twin cat 2.5" y pipe into the single 3" to get a good note out of it. Your exhaust is only as big as it's biggest restriction which is the single cat.

I run twin 2.5" y pipe into a single 3" with a Hooker aerochamber to give it a deep but old school kind of note. (But part of me wishes I went twin 2.5 with twin hookers as it sounds a lot more old school muscle).

A twin 2.5" will be a more old school thong slappy type note if thats what your after (like the 308's of old etc).

Both have their very own unique notes but comes down to personal preference.

My recommendation is to listen to both and make a decision, there isn't one better than the other etc.

If you want a really tough note twin 2.5 dumped at the diff would be my recommendation and it would be loud.

At the end of the day on a naturally aspirated 304/355 a twin 2.5 and single 3" provided you've got a twin cat setup and not a single will make roughly the same power so it really comes down to preference.

This is mine with twin 2.5" pipes into the 3" catback....it's a lot louder in person

Last edited:

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I run twin 2.5" y pipe into a single 3" with a Hooker aerochamber to give it a deep but old school kind of note..
This pretty much describes my system. Although my "y" pipe is more of a "V" pipe (2.5")
Biggest pacey extractors (#5001 I think) No cats (NZ), hooker aero chamber because it's the best (and won't hold you back until 440 crank HP)
3" single from the joint which is approx below rear passenger seats, through the aero chamber, under diff, up and to the left, through some no-name straight through baffled round muffler. 3" out the back.
Super happy with it and no plans to change it.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yeah mines more of a V shape too, I run the 2.5 pipes down to a 2 into 1 collector pretty much behind the seats.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Have to have a look at mine ( guessing more of a V ).
Paccies, twin 2.5" , twin cats into single 3".
I want to change my center muffler out for a Hooker aerochamber.
I'm gonna guess sedans can muffle the sound inside more than in a ute = can't get away from sound except on almost no throttle cruising.
Have heard it when the missus drives off in it busy areas and in traffic doesn't attract too much attention and no bad attention in 6 years ( touch wood ).
But in quiet suburbia , if you're outside you will hear it when 75m away =even when just idling.
Window down 3rd gear (manual select, it is an auto ) M1 coming up out of Brooklyn 110 km zone , rock walls all around .
Mandatory isn't it ?, like giving a stab in a tunnel.

Last edited:

gtrboyy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt ss & lc gtr
Yeah vg-vs utes 10 times worse for drone compared to sedans no sound deadening or extra panels & bracing etc unlike vt-vz can have them loud as fcuk etc without getting nasty drone inside cabin.

I know this 'cos had temporary cheap n nasty setup on vp ute tiger extractors,y pipe to 100 cell cat to straight-thru muffler & another straight-thru instead of decent resonator...sounded sweet at idle could even tell it had baby cam & didn't seem too loud outside but farkin' horrendous drone inside even at slow speeds...had to shut it up didn't want to drive it all now super-quiet unless wide open throttle.Too quiet lol

Brother's vs maloo we did properly pacies,twin vn/s cats thick wall 2.5" pipes to twin mufflers the 3" over differ & decent resonator...it wasn't loud at all unless you really got up it but inside had super nice sound no drone at all.

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
Depends what your sound preference is, exhaust note is very subjective.

You say you currently have a 3". I'm guessing you have the factory 2.25" y pipe into a single cat before the 3"? this will be whats killing your sound. You need to go a twin cat 2.5" y pipe into the single 3" to get a good note out of it. Your exhaust is only as big as it's biggest restriction which is the single cat.

I run twin 2.5" y pipe into a single 3" with a Hooker aerochamber to give it a deep but old school kind of note. (But part of me wishes I went twin 2.5 with twin hookers as it sounds a lot more old school muscle).

A twin 2.5" will be a more old school thong slappy type note if thats what your after (like the 308's of old etc).

Both have their very own unique notes but comes down to personal preference.

My recommendation is to listen to both and make a decision, there isn't one better than the other etc.

If you want a really tough note twin 2.5 dumped at the diff would be my recommendation and it would be loud.

At the end of the day on a naturally aspirated 304/355 a twin 2.5 and single 3" provided you've got a twin cat setup and not a single will make roughly the same power so it really comes down to preference.

This is mine with twin 2.5" pipes into the 3" catback....it's a lot louder in person
Absolute legend! Thanks mate, appreciate it.

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
Yeah vg-vs utes 10 times worse for drone compared to sedans no sound deadening or extra panels & bracing etc unlike vt-vz can have them loud as fcuk etc without getting nasty drone inside cabin.

I know this 'cos had temporary cheap n nasty setup on vp ute tiger extractors,y pipe to 100 cell cat to straight-thru muffler & another straight-thru instead of decent resonator...sounded sweet at idle could even tell it had baby cam & didn't seem too loud outside but farkin' horrendous drone inside even at slow speeds...had to shut it up didn't want to drive it all now super-quiet unless wide open throttle.Too quiet lol

Brother's vs maloo we did properly pacies,twin vn/s cats thick wall 2.5" pipes to twin mufflers the 3" over differ & decent resonator...it wasn't loud at all unless you really got up it but inside had super nice sound no drone at all.
Thanks mate, appreciate it!

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
Have to have a look at mine ( guessing more of a V ).
Paccies, twin 2.5" , twin cats into single 3".
I want to change my center muffler out for a Hooker aerochamber.
I'm gonna guess sedans can muffle the sound inside more than in a ute = can't get away from sound except on almost no throttle cruising.
Have heard it when the missus drives off in it busy areas and in traffic doesn't attract too much attention and no bad attention in 6 years ( touch wood ).
But in quiet suburbia , if you're outside you will hear it when 75m away =even when just idling.
Window down 3rd gear (manual select, it is an auto ) M1 coming up out of Brooklyn 110 km zone , rock walls all around .
Mandatory isn't it ?, like giving a stab in a tunnel.
Thank you mate, appreciate all your advice☺️

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
This pretty much describes my system. Although my "y" pipe is more of a "V" pipe (2.5")
Biggest pacey extractors (#5001 I think) No cats (NZ), hooker aero chamber because it's the best (and won't hold you back until 440 crank HP)
3" single from the joint which is approx below rear passenger seats, through the aero chamber, under diff, up and to the left, through some no-name straight through baffled round muffler. 3" out the back.
Super happy with it and no plans to change it.
Thank you mate! Appreciate it