Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

5ltr V8 exhaust

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
Depends what your sound preference is, exhaust note is very subjective.

You say you currently have a 3". I'm guessing you have the factory 2.25" y pipe into a single cat before the 3"? this will be whats killing your sound. You need to go a twin cat 2.5" y pipe into the single 3" to get a good note out of it. Your exhaust is only as big as it's biggest restriction which is the single cat.

I run twin 2.5" y pipe into a single 3" with a Hooker aerochamber to give it a deep but old school kind of note. (But part of me wishes I went twin 2.5 with twin hookers as it sounds a lot more old school muscle).

A twin 2.5" will be a more old school thong slappy type note if thats what your after (like the 308's of old etc).

Both have their very own unique notes but comes down to personal preference.

My recommendation is to listen to both and make a decision, there isn't one better than the other etc.

If you want a really tough note twin 2.5 dumped at the diff would be my recommendation and it would be loud.

At the end of the day on a naturally aspirated 304/355 a twin 2.5 and single 3" provided you've got a twin cat setup and not a single will make roughly the same power so it really comes down to preference.

This is mine with twin 2.5" pipes into the 3" catback....it's a lot louder in person
Also that sounds

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
G’day again guys! Thanks so much for all your help, just wondering what hooker aero chamber you would recommend.. offset or centre inlet and outlet??

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Hi Mate,

I use offset inlet and centre out, I find thats the easiest to fit in an IRS car, however if yours is live axle it shouldn't be as much of an issue as theres more clearance back there.

I just finished a twin system with the same mufflers, offset in centre out.
O0TA2lb.jpg

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
G’day again guys! Thanks so much for all your help, just wondering what hooker aero chamber you would recommend.. offset or centre inlet and outlet??
I'm actually offset in and centre out. My theory was that the V pipe comes to the centre but muffler sits to one side, and centre out points it right between the diff and the slope of the axle.
IMG_20220713_075939.jpg
IMG_20220713_080002.jpg

Excuse the the dirty mess under there.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Oh, and see those flanges.
Also another flange right behind the muffler so I can bolt on a turn down diff dump pipe at off street events.
And flanged again just before start of photo at the end of headers.
5 flanges total makes it very easy to take out whatever is required when working under there.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Yep offset in seems to work the best in terms of the way the pipe runs down the centre of the car.

That way you can properly tuck the muffler up into the recession in the floor thats provided for the centre mufflers.

But I think in terms of outlet either centre or offset out will work fine, your a lot less limited at the other end. I only went centre out as offset in/centre out was the most available configuration from suppliers.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Yep offset in seems to work the best in terms of the way the pipe runs down the centre of the car.

That way you can properly tuck the muffler up into the recession in the floor thats provided for the centre mufflers.

But I think in terms of outlet either centre or offset out will work fine, your a lot less limited at the other end. I only went centre out as offset in/centre out was the most available configuration from suppliers.
Oh sorry, just realised we are both offset in and centre out.
For some reason I read yours as being the opposite.

I actually don't think they make alot of options in/out for the muffler, as the Helmholtz tube on the inlet side (or whatever they call it) has to be offset a bit.
Could be wrong though.

afstruct

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Maloo , 2002 Monaro
Guessing most or all especially custom twin cat are going to be offset = in , center = out.
Mine is, not sure what muffler which is not parallel with sills/length of ute.

Even the HSV system is offset = in , center = out , even twin system over the live axle and then into a single resi and single exit.

Don't know if you'd get a twin 2.5 " over axle and out one side.
With all this talk it's making me wonder about a twin 2.5" system with an exit each side of the ute.
Being a Maloo there is already the other muffler hanger and even a heat shield attached to the body there as well.
They certainly wouldn't be finishing in those curved down to the ground tail pipes ( don't like the look of them ).

97vsute

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs commodore Ute
Thanks everyone for your help, really do appreciate it!! I love learning from you guys and hopefully can pass that knowledge on to others as I become better with this sort of stuff! I’ll also post a vid of mine once it’s out of the shop as the engine is getting a few little upgrades and being fully rebuilt. Can’t wait!!
Cheers

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Guessing most or all especially custom twin cat are going to be offset = in , center = out.
Mine is, not sure what muffler which is not parallel with sills/length of ute.
It's much easier with yours and the OP's there as you have acres of room at the back of the muffler with live axle and can do a simple hoop over the axle.

With IRS the rear of the muffler is basically where the rear control arms swing so you have to do some crafty bends to get around there as IRS exhausts go under the diff/cradle instead of over, meaning it's a balancing act between clearing your suspension arms but also not having it sit so low you bottom out the exhaust on every speed hump.

I had to put 2x mandrel bends in behind the muffler there just to get 0.5 - 1" of clearance away from that trailing arm which with that particular sized pipe (3") meant that there was only about 6-7cm between the lowest part of the pipe and the ground :/
TYSkQvd.png

I hate IRS, useless at the drag strip, useless for fabrication and fragile like glass.

Last edited: