Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0 V8 Problems

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
Yup so am I, but the dealer and a local mechanic did say that it could be a bearing gone, from the wobble that has made the ticking noise. Does this make sense ?

I had a look under the bonnet and I am looking at what I think is the HB and it has a noticeable wobble. I rather p#$$%d off, it's not like I don't look after the car.

EDIT: Should I just sell it, I mean is the start of the end ?
On face value, I wouldn't suspect anything too serious. Don't get put off by the horror stories you see in some threads.
It could be a bearing but its a simple diagnosis to determine that for an experienced Mech.
HB wobble is common and not necessarily a big deal. Its rare to have a HB totally fail without reasonable abuse.
The outer ring of a HB is bonded to the inner ring via a flexible joint. Its normally a type of urathane.
A wobble of the outer ring can either indicate that the bond joint has allowed movement between the inner and outer ring. This isn't good. However, I have seen new HB with a slight axial wobble which is just a build tolerance. Either way, its a hard call without seeing it.
Let us know when you work it out.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
hopefully theyll fix it under warranty. once its done, see if it solves the ticking noise. the noise might be the balancer slightly touching something on its way around

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
The balancer could be wobbling enough to rub against the block.. That could explain his ticking

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
The tick sounds like it is coming from half way up the driver's side bonnet. However when I open the bonnet its hard to pick where it comes from. I am disappointed more then anything, the car is well looked after and has a full service history. I could understand if it was flogged, it hadn't been looked after but there is really no reason why this should happen and I think that's why I think it should be covered under warranty.