Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0 V8 Problems

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Hey guys,

Took my car in for a service today, and asked them to have a look at it as it had a slight tap noise. So they come back and tell me that my Harmonic Balancer and Engine Idler is gone.

1) What sort of symptoms would I be looking at, hearing from the car if this was the case, because it does seem to have anything wrong with and its working fine.
2) If this is the case should it really have gone, I mean the car only has 55K on the clock ? Should I be asking why ?
3) Am I going to be raped to fix this ?

Cheers guys.

metalfossil

Reaction score
Just wondering did you take it to a Holden service place? Just asking as my car(also a 6 litre V8) was also making a noise and the answer I was given my the usual place I take my car to was to change the oil...this made no difference. In the end I took it to Holden: lifters and cams needed to be replaced. The car is four months out of warranty, but Holden is going to pay for it. I'm assuming your car is still under warranty? Do yourself a favour and book it in for a diagnostic at your local Holden service centre

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
i see you've also asked Club VE on FB lol.... should be a warranty job if you have some left. how long have you had the car for? the dealer i took mine to quoted 450 to replace it but mine was under the extended dealer warranty. they want to charge for a new belt as well though, 55 bucks from memory.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Yurp lol.

No its out of Factory Warranty, but It was a certified used car (used to be Holden car) but my local dealer quoted me $550 (A/C Pulley needs doing as well) and are refusing to do it under warranty, also they only serviced it 4000 kms ago. So asked how did they miss this at the last service, its been making the noise ever since the first service (2 now) and no one has said anything and it hasn't thrown an error code so I just assumed its the was the engine sounds.

On the phone to Holden tomorrow though as I got the car back this afternoon (they told me it would be fine to drivem is this true? I need to travel 400km on the weekend) and they have taken a massive gouge out of the driver's door trim.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
Speak to Holden and find out if its a known fault. Holden certified used cars still have some kind of warranty don't they? What did you get when you bought it?

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
It was a certified used vehicle owned by the dealer, serviced by the dealer and purchased by my from that dealer. However that dealer isn't legally obligated to pass on the warranty even though there is 'certified used' paper work with the car. How ever it's only gong to be about $550 and Holden said that might fix it due the fact the car has relatively low KMs and a full service history.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
So another question, related, everyone says that is only going to be a little more expensive to replace the harmonic balancer with an 'under drive pulley kit' is this true ? Also does anyone know what my power gains will be and if it is really even worth it ?

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Had a look at a VE SSV last weekend, and the harmonic ballancer was wobbling. I think I have read that its a common problem? What oil have you used in the 2 services you have done? Mine started ticking after filling with Castrol.
Yours would be an AFM wouldnt it? Plenty of info on the 6.0 rattles on here.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Ian, its manual so no AFM. It goes to Holden for service so what ever oil they use. I'm pretty p#$$%d off at the moment. I've never had any major problems with a Commodore before. VE's aren't built like they used to be...

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Ian, its manual so no AFM. It goes to Holden for service so what ever oil they use. I'm pretty p#$$%d off at the moment. I've never had any major problems with a Commodore before. VE's aren't built like they used to be...