Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0 V8 Problems

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
the underdrive kit will let it rev higher without running the accessories at a ridiculous speed. only gives a few kw more at the top end. unless you have a large cam and like to rev the guts out i wouldnt bother.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
the underdrive kit will let it rev higher without running the accessories at a ridiculous speed. only gives a few kw more at the top end. unless you have a large cam and like to rev the guts out i wouldnt bother.

Thanks mate, no mods so far besides a CAT BACK, was going got OTRCAI next week before this happened and sent my budget into deficit :(

GreenSSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SV6 Sportwagon Black Edition
I also had the wobbly balancer issue, i was advised to go the underdrive kit as a new genuine one may eventually do the same thing.
power wise it wont really do much unless your going for a cam down the track (and even then its minimal i think), but if its something you need to replace anyway may as well go the underdrive kit.

PhatCommy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Calais, VR Wagon
My harmonic balancer went at 35,000k, 2 weeks after I had my Vortech supercharger fitted, lol.

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
Ahhh shat ! lol Well I'm getting the run around from the dealer, but I think Holden might (fingers crossed) come to the party. I was told I could drive it, is this true ? What sort of damage will it cause ?

EDIT: I just find it od that it could be gone with out throwing error codes, I mean if it is gone, and I had had it checked out could I have not driven the car into oblivion and not even have realised ?

Slick6

Reaction score
Website
www.perthfilms.com
Members Ride
Phantom SSV
If the balancer was totally screwed then you wouldn't be driving it, but if its just got a wobble then it is ok but eventually will need changing.

Holden really should come to the party on a known issue, I think just about every 6.0 had had a new one. Mine was replaced about 30k after delivery.

And I agree with Ian about the cheap castrol used at dealers. Mine ticks like crazy with it, I specifically ask for Mobile 1 and the last time they put Castrol in it I made them drain it.

Heron SSV

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 NT Pajero Exceed, 1984 VK SL
all they do is woble and cause the belt to squeal. will be fine in the mean time, but i wouldnt be getting up it for the rent until its fixed

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
It's starts out as a wobble.....
I know a couple of guys phatcommy included that have had to replace theirs....
It's a common issues and yes, should be fixed in reasonable time

Thumpin

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SSV Sportwagon
I'm still trying to work out what the Balancer and Idler have to do with your ticking noise?

Could the dealer be dodging the issue?

vzlumina

01/05 VZ Lumina AKW-989
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
Members Ride
MY9.5 SS-V, '99 CR125
I'm still trying to work out what the Balancer and Idler have to do with your ticking noise?

Could the dealer be dodging the issue?

Yup so am I, but the dealer and a local mechanic did say that it could be a bearing gone, from the wobble that has made the ticking noise. Does this make sense ?

I had a look under the bonnet and I am looking at what I think is the HB and it has a noticeable wobble. I rather p#$$%d off, it's not like I don't look after the car.

EDIT: Should I just sell it, I mean is the start of the end ?

Last edited: