Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0 WM caprice cooling system

Jarrad Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0 wm caprice
Hey sorry this has probably been asked before but I can’t find the right info. I just brought a wm caprice 6.0 and I need to flush the cooling system the old owner put in about 400mls of green coolaid into the red as it was low on water. The reservoir is low aswell it doesn’t even read on the dots on the stick. I need to dump it and put in new red coolant. How do I go about bleeding the system? I’ve been told by holdens it’s hard on this car but I’ve been told by others to just dump it and flush and refil the radiator and the reservoir to the top dot and to run the car with the radiator cap off to bleed it and refill as needed. Is this correct? Or what’s the easiest way to do this? I don’t want to bugger it so I thought I’d ask all uses so I can get the right info. Thanks!!

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
There's nothing special about the cooling system, the way you described should be fine.
While you're playing with the coolant system, treat your car to a new(genuine) radiator cap.

Jarrad Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0 wm caprice
thanks mate do I need to use distilled water or is tap water okay?

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
There’s a few write ups on how to flush cooling system in VE/VF, some with pictures, tools, methods all outlined... worth doing a search...

PS: a quick Google search using “site: forums.justcommodores.com.au ve vf cooling system flush” found this as first hit

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/vz-ve-vf-alloytec-cooling-system-repairs.279976/

should answer most of your questions.... but if not, do the search, have a read of a few other threads and if you have some more questions, ask away :p

Last edited:

Jarrad Lee

Reaction score
Members Ride
6.0 wm caprice
This is the end result colour for the coolant with 50/50 mix with concentrate. Still looks abit green I think but I can see through it to the rad fins and when it’s turned off for a few hours the colour is see through red. Do I need to get it fully flushed again or is this okay? I used distilled water aswell..

Attachments

• 4351CF37-4B4B-4004-B1BE-4B9D75780BDD.jpeg
    4351CF37-4B4B-4004-B1BE-4B9D75780BDD.jpeg
    165.9 KB · Views: 99

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
It should be fine.