Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.0l Brake Failure with cammed engine

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
I have a VCM-7 cam installed in my auto ute. I noticed the brakes dont seem to bring the car up as well as it used to. I took it to the dealer who informed me that the cam has caused a loss of vacuum to the master cylinder and I would need a "vacuum tank" to improve the brakes.

After VCM re-tuned the car, the brakes "feel" better, however I am still not 100% confident with them.

Has anyone else had any issues with their brakes after a cam?

cashie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V
I have a VCM-7 cam installed in my auto ute. I noticed the brakes dont seem to bring the car up as well as it used to. I took it to the dealer who informed me that the cam has caused a loss of vacuum to the master cylinder and I would need a "vacuum tank" to improve the brakes.

After VCM re-tuned the car, the brakes "feel" better, however I am still not 100% confident with them.

Has anyone else had any issues with their brakes after a cam?

Common issue depending on cam specs.
Your vacuum is lower and therefore the power brakes aren't working properly.
VCM would have retuned to raise the vacuum.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Thanks for the reply Cashie.

In addition to tuning, is there anything else I can do to improve (other than the larger brake kits available).

jasonsv6

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 SR POS
what you will need is a vacume tank / vac pump to supply more vacume so the booster gives you more assistance. or a bigger booster.

what you are getting is less force being transfured to the master cylinder so bigger brakes arnt gonna help you as you still are not going to get the line pressure to the calipers.

gslrallysport

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ AWD One Tonner
what you will need is a vacume tank / vac pump to supply more vacume so the booster gives you more assistance. or a bigger booster.

what you are getting is less force being transfured to the master cylinder so bigger brakes arnt gonna help you as you still are not going to get the line pressure to the calipers.
^ This man knows. Spot on on both counts. Going to bigger brakes would actually make the problem worse. That is, unless you wanted to ditch the booster all together and run a biased adjustable dual master cylinder setup with some higher ratio pedals. Great for race and rally cars, not so great for street legality...

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Have others with cammed engines done this? I understand the logic behind it, however I have not heard of people doing this modification as part of a cam upgrade.

HSV085

Reaction score
Members Ride
16' VF2 Redline, 17' VF2 GTS
Getting an aftermarket stall convertor will solve your issue & massively improve the way the car drives, however choosing what size(ie. 2800/3000/3800rpm etc...) will come down to personal preferance.

krylothe

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SS
prob stupid question, but what exactly is a stall convertor? whats it do? how do they work?

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Getting an aftermarket stall convertor will solve your issue & massively improve the way the car drives, however choosing what size(ie. 2800/3000/3800rpm etc...) will come down to personal preferance.

Already have a 2800 TCE converter installed from the get-go.

M500

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV Ute
Bump...
Anybody else come across this issue yet?