Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6.5inch split install

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Commodore Executive 9C1
Hi guys,

after dealing with the crappy genuine speakers and having my drivers door speaker start popping i decided it was time to install the polk audio dB 6501's that i have, just to make it clear, i am not a novice with electronics, i have been pulling devices apart and fixing them since i can remember being able to hold a screwdriver. i really struggled with putting these speakers in, it wasnt the pulling all the panels apart and getting to the speakers, that only took about 20mins, but actually finding the relevant wires took me hours, (given i do have a 9C1 and there were 3 other looms around the drivers front area where the speakers are wired) in the end i gave up because i just couldnt find the relevant wire to cut into as well as not being able to find the original crossover (a single capacitor). so i have done the expensive option and decided to have these fitted professionally as well as getting some of the polk dB series 6x9's for my parcel shelf install as well (only going 6x9 cause i dont want a sub cause it means i cant fint my bike or all my PC gear in the back).

I just thought i would let people know that this job isnt as easy as it sounds, i have done it in corolla's before and it didnt require much effort, but once i saw how many damn looms there were it became a different story!!

Good luck to you all with installs.

Matt

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
I don't get it, what wires couldn't you find? The speaker wires were right there once you removed the old speakers, and if your running an external amp well then your running your own wires.

Why were you trying to locate the original crossover if you were completely replacing both the mid woofer and tweeter? The crossover which is a small capacitor that runs inline with the tweeter. It would have been far easier for you to remove the head unit and replace as much of the original speaker wire as possible providing ofcrouse that you aren't using an amplifier.

It's a shame you had to go out and spent extra money on completing the install. It is fairly straight forward, but as with any make / model, be prepared to spend some extra time until you familiarise yourself.

Last edited:

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
i couldnt find the actual speaker wires that run to the pretend crossover, the ones used for the sirens and lights were the same greens as what the speaker cables were, i tried, my dad tried and all my other mates are on hols, and i want them in

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Again i don't understand the need to find the wiring for the original crossover. The 6501 is a component set and comes with it's own crossover (unless i have searched wrongly and they are a coaxial speaker)

Cutting the speaker wire close to the head unit cuts the crossover out and unless your extremely padantic about old loose wiring it could have just been left in place.

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
im just being rather lazy, i didnt want to have to go all the way back to the head unit and re cable everything from there.....ill put it this way it just wasnt as easy as i was expecting! i really have no idea why i found it so insanely hard, your right its not that hard, but it just completely stumped me....

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
i don't get any of this?

is it a poor attempt at humour?

what on earth are you talking about lights and a siren?

Jebadayah

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Because his car is an ex cop car / emergency services car

schrinky

Reaction score
Members Ride
i don't get any of this?

is it a poor attempt at humour?

what on earth are you talking about lights and a siren?

it was an unmarked mica ambulance that my uncle had when he worked at the department of justice...i did indicate that it was a 9C1.....well done jebadayah, gald to see someone reads and understands the original post!! :p

Fun_Bucket

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cruze II sri
Yeah i didn't get it either, but it sort of blended in with a lot of the other badly worded posts you often see (not that yours was badly worded) which makes me assume that a good portion of JC members are on crack.

Now i also understand :)

Last edited:

AmmoJammo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Wagon
and what on earth do the lights and siren wiring have to do with the speaker wiring thats in the door? :S