Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Cylinder VS Diesel

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I am looking into getting a 2006 upwards Captiva soon but which engine to go for is an issue I have been hearing about a timing chain problem with the 6 is this true ?

What are the diesel's like for the Captiva ?

commodore665

expat Saffa
Reaction score
Members Ride
2005 SV6 & Alfa Romeo 156 V6
I see you already have a VZ executive , I would imagine the V6 Captiva would have no less or more problems than the VZ executive

AussieHolden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon 2006
I see you already have a VZ executive , I would imagine the V6 Captiva would have no less or more problems than the VZ executive

There not the exact same engine as in my VZ there smaller and different design and different parts.

I very rarely hear anything about the VZ timing chain but I am starting to hear about the Captiva V6 timing chain being a costly issue so I need to know the models it affect's the year etc.

shadetreemechanic

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR v6
Diesel is arse. Would rather take my chance with a timing chain issue...sister in law has a v6 captiva and its been going good and she's had it for a fair while now.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I have a 2006 3.2 petrol Captiva. Extremely thirsty, getting only around 420km per tank around town, maybe 600 on the open road. (63 litre tank). My car has nearly 200,000 on the clock and runs very smoothly and quietly. IIRC, early V6 Captivas were also subject to the stretching timing chain of the Commodores but it was pot-luck if your car had them or not. I guess mine doesn't, or they were replaced before 130,000 when I bought the car.

Early Captiva diesels have a very poor reputation as they can suffer valve gear failure. Avoid buying one at all costs. The Series 2 had a different and much improved engine.

The lesson here really is

Don't buy a Series 1 Captiva at all.......

(wish I'd known that)

Clubby_Don

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Clubby 1109 build number
i was a holedn sales man from 2009-2013 and stay away from the v6 ones..
they have alot of teething problems so to speak being the first captiva holden made..
even the series 1 diesel captivas have turbo lag so bad it is actually dangerous.
try to get a series 2 (sept 2011 build and up) as you can pick them up for about 20k now.

as for the timing chain, its not a problem unless you dont replace the timing chain every 60k and they only have 2-3k leway befor they destruct

imoore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2014 VF SSV ute
My parents have a 2010 v6. Got 90000 on the clock. Had no issues untill recent. Cruise control intimately doesnt work. Guessing brake light switch or something. avg around 11L100.
Very smooth engine imho. But underpowered big time. Esp when towing a caravan.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
i was a holedn sales man from 2009-2013 and stay away from the v6 ones..
they have alot of teething problems so to speak being the first captiva holden made..
even the series 1 diesel captivas have turbo lag so bad it is actually dangerous.
try to get a series 2 (sept 2011 build and up) as you can pick them up for about 20k now.

as for the timing chain, its not a problem unless you dont replace the timing chain every 60k and they only have 2-3k leway befor they destruct

I realise I'm late in with this reply, but a Holden salesman you may have been, a Holden mechanic you ain't.

The Captiva V6 did not require timing chain replacement at 60k intervals - in fact, if the motor was properly serviced, the chains may never need replacing unless the car has travelled an extreme distance, by which time the whole motor would probably be needing replacement.

The V6 had a serpentine drive belt for the water pump, air con and alternator. That was what needed changing at 60k intervals, but your comment about only 2 or 3k leeway is off the mark too. If you kept an eye on the belt tensioner to ensure that the belt stretch was within tolerance, it could last much further than 60k. I sold my Captiva V6 with 205k on the clock and the belt had not been changed at 180k. I kept an eye on the tensioner and examined the belt each service, which I did myself. It was still good when I sold the car, after going 25k over the recommended service interval.