Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Hi guys- have a 2010 VE SS UTE 6 spd manual- This engine was quiet in the top end when delivered- but after first oil change which was done earlier than specified ( 5000km with 5-30w Mobil one ) have had lifter noise from here on in- also has had a quite noticeable piston rattle when cold and almost to the point I can still notice it when at full operating temperature- has had cam and lifters replaced under warranty and even a second set of lifters fitted......Engineers from Holden have listened to both noises and have communicated through the service manager ( because they are to arrogant to speak to the customer ) that both noises are of acceptable levels and it can happen with a mass produced product- well thats fine but just give me another engine GM and I will go away- If any Holden engineers are reading this- ur product is a fragile- under engineered- rattly POS ! Ok now I have vented would love to hear of other peoples experiences with their engines and warranty claims.

Regards,
Charger

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
There is another massive thread on here where people have had the same problem. I think a couple of guys have been through 2 or 3 new engines and it's still there.

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
oh really- seems like a can of worms is already open....thankyou Aaronevolution- I will see if I can find it !

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Yep yep my series 2 knocks when it's cold it's not as bad as a gen 3 but its there. Doesn't use oil though to be honest these Chev alloys are buckets of crap when you think of the problems Holden's had with them.. And you would think that after the massive headaches with the gen 3 they would of made sure that these engines are sweet. Holden told me they couldn't hear the noise BULL SH*T they just don't want to pull an engine out. Reasons why I gave up.

1) it doesn't use oil and isn't that bad
2) imagine waiting for Holden to put an engine in and out of my car... No thanks.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
By the way I have NO lifter noise (well nothing that's not normal) but it knocks just like a 5.7 piece of ****

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Mate,

Welcome to the headaches OldDog, SSVagon, Cruizer, myself (I'm on engine number 4) and some others have been fighting with Holden over getting this issue sorted to an acceptable level. There are some good tips for you to follow in getting this resolved. Also we have videos posted for people to compare noises with theirs.

http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...9970-afm-l76-lifter-rattle-when-cold-wtf.html

Interesting that your vehicle is a series2. From some research we have done suggests that the earlier VE Series 2's fitted with L77 engines built in 2010 (you can find out what the build date of the engine is on the passenger side rocker cover (inside) at the front of the engine. Sits just under the injector wiring harness). Would be interested to know what that date is.

Feel free to contact me to discuss further if you want. More than happy to share my experiances.

Cheers,
Phil

Last edited:

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Thanks Diesel Junkie- I had very good luck with my previous VY 5.7- must have been one of the lucky ones. I too thought that I would be getting a more refined motor with the 6.0 litre- instead I get a knarly- rattly POS that it seems GM cannot or will not fix. I can bring the piston noise on in neautral by feathering the throttle between 2500 and 3000......loading and unloading- slap slap slappetty slap- drives me insane !!!!! I sat with the service manager and the GM district service manager yesterday and asked them where do we go from here ? both were at a loss to give me any direction with it- the DSM is an absolute tool- kept refering to the problems they had with the 5.8- WTF I said you mean the 5.7 ? A spineless tool that doesn't belong in the workshop is our DSM ! And to the elitist GM engineer with multiple degrees in lies and deception- who listened to my engine- its not an acceptable level of small end noise- its an unacceptable level of piston slap you arrogant elitist GM pig ! Next stop- small claims- VCAT and who ever else will listen. Sorry guys Im just so angry !

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Mate so am I!!! Bloody 43k car and it piston slaps like they surely should have fixed the issues by now! I feather my throttle and it does the same thing! Knock Knock knock.... As I said I had a problem 5.7 and I know the sound my ears prick when I hear that noise! And my 2011 VE does it! What a joke that GM still have an issue! It has 10,000km on it what happens when it has 100,000?!!? Worse? Who knows sorry for the rant guys but it's pathetic! I'm going to see Holden again.. It's not lifters its piston slap! Grrrrrr!

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I'll check out the sound files if you could direct me.

davey g-force

I'm a sceptic...
Reaction score
Members Ride
02 RX7 S8 Spirit R 13B TT & 2013 Audi A3 1.8T DSG7
Lifter noise
Piston slap
Piston rattle
Knocking

Are any or all of these the same thing? Can someone describe what they sound like or provide links to sound files / videos? Is the noise very obvious if you have it?

I haven't noticed anything unusual in mine, but would like to know just in case..