Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

Potta9

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve r8 , B2600
Wouldn't know if mine rattles or not with the roller rockers and exhaust I can't hear crap with mine.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
When it's stone cold over night start it early in morning feather the throttle you will probably hear a rattle noise it's quite a quick sounding noise in other words it's not a slow noise if you can understand what I'm getting at lol!! Also when stone cold let clutch out put engine under load listen carefully you might hear "knock knock knock knock" coming from the engine bay. Once you get an ear for it you will pick the noise straight away. What I find laughable Is that Holden couldn't hear the mouse in my engine... They choose not to hear it more like it.

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Hay Charger 1 and welcome to mine and others nightmare.

My car, a Nov 2010 SSV VE11 is a total peice of crap. At 7,500 the lifters were replaced (as per recall) I have that in writing from the dealer, at 13,100 piston slap was diagnosed by Holden's rep and the engine removed and pistons coated after a long battle. Now at 15,000 the car has gone into limp mode when started, was "repaired", then an hour after getting it back, did the same again while driving. It is now back at the dealer, pulled apart, while they try and find out what the problem is. The Holden reps I am sure don't care, and when I ask for a new engine, they give me a sob story about how much it cost them to rectifiy the piston slap issue and its not economically viable for them to replace the engine. Huh? It's not economically viable for me to spend $50K on a car and be without it for 55 days in 12 months. Now I'm driving a crappy VZ instead of my SSV.

Oh, I need to add my dealer has been great through this process, in no way do I blame the dealer for the break down or other problems. The engine in my eyes is just a bucket of badly screwed together bolts.

Last edited:

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Sorry guys forgot to post the link to the other thread. Now updated.

Davey, check out the link is post #6 for videos of the clunk/knocking noise on cold startup.

Cheers guys, your not alone on this and your not ranting. This just simply should not occur regardless of material the engine is made out of.

Just to let you guys know. Holden currently have excess L77 (2011/12) 6.0ltr engines in supply to be moved through the parts division. No excusses for not replacing the engine...

Happy to speak to any of you if you want to call me.

Cheers
Phil

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Is there a recall on lifters??? Mines a series 2 feb 2011 build on the car. Im not replacing my engine because in reality it won't fix it :( :(

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
New engine fixed my cold start clunking so far... PM sent Diesel..

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
build date on my engine is Dec 09 just for reasons of making comparisions ! GM engineers made coment of my non stock exhaust system being somewhat louder than standard and were quick to add that they were wondering why I would complain about small mechanical noises coming from the front- WTF ? What about HSV's and I guess they never noticed that 9 out of 10 SS's have had an aftermarket exhaust fitted.....oh the sacrilege of removing their quiet- efficient- free flowing system- tut tut ! then they had the cheek to ask the dealer if I had messed with the computer- all without my right of reply....

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
As I suspected mine is a September 2010 build ON THE ENGINE car is FEB 2011. My noise is a faint knock it's not loud like hexams car well one of the engines he had anyway lol... Holden crap on about mods like exhausts as if you supercharged and stroked it.

pazzogen3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss ute 5.7
By the looks of it it's starting to become a problem like the LS1, if you go onto USA forums like LS1TECH,G8 forum very very common over there. It's a pity as these motors a good out of the box, but noisey as hell.