Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Yeah the build date of engines in these complaints is consistant with what a few of us (Bluessv, myself) have been saying. Although Gazz yours is an L98? which is where my dramas started. Now I have a 2011 build L77.
If they decide to replace your engine it will not be an L98 as they are no longer produced nor can be sourced by Holden. You will get the L77 and they (Holden) have to carry out a rework of the engine to suit earlier model (series1) VE's.

Cheers
Phil

P.S. When they were fitting my L77 one of the mechanics when to move an E3 HSV Maloo ute into the workshop and it had the same knocking noise my car had. I pointed it out to the techs and they said shhhhh!.... nice one....

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Hi Phil- not really familiar with the engine codes on these cars- would you please explain the differences between the L77 and L98 motors and how I would identify mine ?

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Ok; L98 is the engine that MANUAL V8's and AUTO V8's had up to 2009 (not sure when) THEN the MANUAL V8's had the L98, Active Fuel Managment AUTOS had the L67 engine, however once the series 2 came out both manual and auto used the same L77 engine, the manuals had AFM deactivated. They had different lifters and cams. So if you have a series 2 you have an L77 if you have a MANUAL Series 1 or pre 2009 auto you will have an L98.

If any of this is wrong I'm sure Phil of someone will correct me :)

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
L67 and L77 are the same from what we know they changed injectors fuel rails and valves to work with E85 flex fuel.

aaronevolution

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TURISMO VZ SS 6.0
Ok; L98 is the engine that MANUAL V8's and AUTO V8's had up to 2009 (not sure when) THEN the MANUAL V8's had the L98, Active Fuel Managment AUTOS had the L67 engine, however once the series 2 came out both manual and auto used the same L77 engine, the manuals had AFM deactivated. They had different lifters and cams. So if you have a series 2 you have an L77 if you have a MANUAL Series 1 or pre 2009 auto you will have an L98.

If any of this is wrong I'm sure Phil of someone will correct me :)

Auto's had L76 first

Charger1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE
Hi Diesel Junkie- is there a spot on the engine that I can identify for sure the type of engine I have ? just for interest sake. Are any of those engines less prone to inherent problems ?

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
What year model is it and auto manual? The build plate under the bonnet will tell you what "engine" you have

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
If its a manual other than a VE Series 2 it has an L98.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Now guys ive listened to all the sound files from Old Dogs car, Hexams car SSVAGONS and Cruisers car I've concluded that all your engines sound pretty much that same. You all have that distinktive rattle\knock coming from your engine. NOW i have spoken to Phil (hexam) and Bryce (SSVAGON) and the theory we all seem to agree on is that any L77 engine built in 2010 seems to have this issue, this could be right but there is one key difference that ive noticed ALL your cars are 2010 and before on the build date of the car EXCEPT for mine.. mine is a 2011 build, now the engine is stamped september 2010 but im thinking the latter engines of 2010 might be ok... MAYBE because although mine has a very faint knock like my VT did it does not have that loud click clack click clack click clack sound that im hearing in all the videos and sound files. Your noises seemed to be lound and offensive where as mine you really have to listen carefully... I think mine still shouldnt be making the noise but as i said the main noise im hearing in the videos im certainly not getting... the mystery remains...