Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Im starting to think maybe im being too fussy and im becoming paranoid about noises from my engine bay because as i said that loud offensive noise you guys have is not present in my engine.. hmmmm... i went on the G8 forums earlier all there problems are coming from 2010 and backward.. from what i could see anyway.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
well put it this way... i dont have any lifter tick..

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
"DJ" I and Phil have discussed this theory at length. We are yet to hear a 2011 engine with this problem.
Let’s hope the factory has fixed it with the upgraded lifter's fitted and another "fix" I was told about into the 2011 engines.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
The knocking starts off as a faint noise but over time develops into what your hearing in our video files. As discussed by phone some mornings it wouldn't do it or not as bad. But after a few months is became consistant, longer duration and more pronounced.

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
Well I'm thinking any series 2 built in 2011 may be ok it may not be engine date it may be 2010 build series 2 as I said my engine is late 2010 but my car is 2011 also it's manual so... I'll let it develop lol.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
Well I'm thinking any series 2 built in 2011 may be ok it may not be engine date it may be 2010 build series 2 as I said my engine is late 2010 but my car is 2011 also it's manual so... I'll let it develop lol.

Yes and No. Our therory is that the revised internal componants for all the GEN4 6.0ltr engine in the US (which seem to have fixed a lot of the issues experianced in the US) didn't occur untill late 2010. This would mean that those new (or different manufacture) internal parts would not be in the GEN4 engine for export to Australia until early 2011. Our research suggests that GEN4 motor with a build date (thats the stamp on the motor not the cars build date) so far have shown that they are not suffering from the same issues.

We are talking about the L77 (fitted to all VE Series 2 V8 variants) now which is essentially an L76 with some intake manifold updates, ECM, etc to accommodate for E85 flex fuel and other things. Our therory still stands although your car is a 2011 Built VE SS the 'Motor' has a build date in 2010, which is consistant with our research. We are yet to hear of a VE Series 2 V8 built in 2011 with an engine build date of 2011 that's experiancing the cold start knocking.

Hope this clears things up a bit....!

Cheers
Phil

Diesel_junkie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS
I agree with you on that but as I said mine sounds nothing like that you guys clearly have lifter noise there mine has zero lifter noise at 11,000 km so I don't know if it ends up sounding like yours I'll start a war with Holden that's for sure.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
The noise we have was not lifter. Had them and camshafts replaced twice before new motors and it still made the same clunking / knocking sound.

The whole problem with this is no one realy knows what the issue was/is exactly nor have they taken one of the many engines I've had replaced and check why its doing it.

Agreed yours noise could be something different. Would be good to post cold start video to compare. In any case there are quite a few of these cars out there with many klm's that do not make any such clunks/knocks/bangs/crash/tick type noises... So all we want is the same standard in our cars.

Anyway good luck with it. Keep us posted..

Blockab

R8WAGZ
Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE HSV CLUBSPORT R8 TOURER
Well guys,
My mar built 2011 SS ute manual just got back from holden after one f my AFM lifters failed and made an awfull knocking noise, they replaced all the lifters and replaced one of the coil packs, had it back for approx 2 days driven round 150kms and the lifters are ticking again it goes in for its 30000km service next week so i will get them to check it but in my opinion poor effort on engineering

SSVAGON

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEII SV6 Ute
Well guys,
My mar built 2011 SS ute manual just got back from holden after one f my AFM lifters failed and made an awfull knocking noise, they replaced all the lifters and replaced one of the coil packs, had it back for approx 2 days driven round 150kms and the lifters are ticking again it goes in for its 30000km service next week so i will get them to check it but in my opinion poor effort on engineering

Yep bet your engine is a 2010 build, your engine would have been fitted with the old style lifters. Check the passenger side rocker cover on the high side front 1/4 near the inlet manifold. Its printed in black. It is sometimes hidden under wires/pipes.