Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

OldDog

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Series 1 SS Storm Ute
Bloody hell another one! Charger I'm sorry to hear of your woes. I think we orked it out that late 2010 build L76 and the new L77 had an improved lifter design fitted and so far there doesn't seem to be too many issues. As you can see in that thread of mine, after a long battle I had the engine replaced with an L77, which has been very good so far, still no issues with it. I had to send a polite letter of complaint to GM's general manager to get that result though. If i'd stayed with the standard procedure of reporting it etc etc i would still be on that merry go round. Ultimately, after 30 years of Holden ownership I will never own another. I've had issues with every new Holden i've ever bought and this was GMH's crowning glory, I feel like an idiot for having supported them for so long actually.

alan_blue

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 ve ss
well mine has also just got worse and is exactly the same sound as your hexem, i think the noise sounds like its from lower down and not lifters. It only does it now and then which is weird and have no idea why. What was yours in the end? mine is a L77 too

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
well mine has also just got worse and is exactly the same sound as your hexem, i think the noise sounds like its from lower down and not lifters. It only does it now and then which is weird and have no idea why. What was yours in the end? mine is a L77 too

At the moment my new L77 (April 2011 built engine) does not clunk or knock on cold startup. Previous motors (L98) was finally diagnosed (by Holden Technical) as engine slap. The same problem plagued the L76 in the VE as well.

Check your "engines" build date and left us know. Here is a photo of where to find the engine build time and date.

Attachments

• IMG_0089.jpg
    IMG_0089.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 373
Last edited:

BumbleBeeSSVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VEII SSV Redline Ute
Hey guys. I've got a 2010 series 2 and I'm pretty sure I'm hearing the beginnings of piston slap. I've read all that you guys have posted and will now be spending the day making sure I'm not being paranoid, but with some of you onto engine number 4, I'm not confident that I'm just paranoid any more. This is my first brand new car ever, and also my first v8. I think I'll cry should this bullshit start happening to me. I'm just coming up to 15,000k. I'll let you all know how I go because I'm sure gonna need help with it. I've never had a warranty on a car so have NO idea where to begin.

dmacey

Somebody, make me upset
Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV Series II Sedan Manual & a VK in the build
I have to say with regret, that my L77 has started the same issues as described in this thread.

Heading into a workshop tomorrow. Same noise.

My car is SEP 11.

Dave

sv9946

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE ss ute hopefully, or ss-v
My series 2 ss manual ute, bought late october 2010 with a L77 built on 3rd july 2010 has been 100% trouble and noise free thus far - 27,000km. not all of us are having a bad run.... i've serviced it every 5,000km with a very good quality mobil 10w-40 and i'm very very happy with it!

gt3540rx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV SII Sportwagon
I think my May 11 build with Feb 11 engine build may be starting to develop some issues.
Cold start is a bit rough, engine seems to be lumpy & there's a knock/clunky sound for maybe 15-20 secs. Doesnt usually do it when warm, first start of the day is the worst.
Ive never experienced piston slap (this is my first holden v8) but to me it seems plausible.

HEXEM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6
I have to say with regret, that my L77 has started the same issues as described in this thread.

Heading into a workshop tomorrow. Same noise.

My car is SEP 11.

Dave

Not good news Dave. What's the engine build date?

Phil