Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 Litre rattler/piston slapper !

Cruzer

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF 2 SSV
Well guys the knock knock VE SS knock Knock knock series 2 is going to Holden tomoz afternoon for a Wednesday cold start... Will be interesting I'll push hard for a 2011 built L77 what's odd is that agressive lifter noise old dog has isn't present in my engine just my piston bashing against my cylinder wall when cold :( they must the old 5.7 liters that were thrown in the scrap heap with a stroker kit to make them a "6 liter" and happy days... Not really im being a smart ass but that's what it seems like.

HI Diesel, Do you have a sound file of yours on start up?
Keen to see if what you have is the same as mine?

cheers

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
Mate mine piston slaps and lifter clacks when it's cold. Doesn't use oil though... Holden are dicking me around they spastic service manager rekons he can't hear the knock when the engine is cold, well I'm sorry he's a full blown spastic brain dead idiot! No offenses intended to disabled people my brother is disabled. anyway I've had a harmonic balancer replaced an idler pulley replaced for zero gain!! Booked in next time the DSM is in town but I can't see myself winning. My engine sounds like a tractor on cold mornings I love the car to bits but the engine goes hard however they are they most under engineered piece of **** I've come across! People who don't have piston slap in there 6 liters aren't listening hard enough lol. They all do it a little bit from my experience not much has changed since VT 5.7,s the lifter issue isn't a recall in Australia only in the united states at this stage as far as I know. I refuse to have my engine pulled down I either get a new engine or I learn to deal with it. Pulling it down wastes time and introduces more problems.

Sent from my GT-I9210T using Tapatalk 2

Fark man deff hope ya get it sorted! get some vids up so we can hear it!, mine has no piston slap noises on cold or warm starts, ive listened hard! lol :p

Manwhore

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SS sedan manual
Was just going through these threads and wondered if there is a problem with a 1st of July 2011 built motor? Not hearing any but the car has only done 6000kms and i am tone deaf. Thanks

Last edited:

2012hilux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 hilux and 2007 VE Calais 6ltr
Anyone know if ve 6ltr piston slap noise when cold covered under Holden warranty, was good when I brought it 2 months later was there