Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 speed manual

camshafto

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg maloo
hey guys, ijust bought a vg maloo which has had a bit done to engine not sure what though. it is a project now and would like to know if there is a 6 speed gearbox you can get to go on the 5.0 ltr. any info would be appreciated, cheers.

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
yeah, you canget a six speed to go onto it, they arnt cheap though, first one that comes to mind is a hollinger

Boonz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
green 355 VG ute
holden offered a six speed in some of the VN hsv models......very rare and more than likely very expensive.....some places might offer a 6 speed conversion like a supra gearbox or the same

try google

camshafto

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg maloo
thanks for the input guys, ive been on google for the past half hour am still having trouble finding what im looking for. this whole computer thing is new to me. i will persist though as your info has put me on the right track thanks.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
boona15 said:
holden offered a six speed in some of the VN hsv models......very rare and more than likely very expensive.....some places might offer a 6 speed conversion like a supra gearbox or the same

try google
Only VN that got a 6 speed was the Group A which used the ZF 6 speed. More practical bet would be a Tremec T56.
AirStrike :air:

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
Those ZF boxes arnt cheap either

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
yeah a ZF 6speed will set you back about 2 or 3 grand for a roughie.

like said, a better option will be a tremec. far cheaper, and smoother box.
check out www.rodshop.com.au the guys there will be able to sort you out for the custom gearbox mounts and bellhousing . maybe even know where to grab one too if your lucky.

camshafto

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg maloo
good info guys cheers. it depends what you call expensive i thought if i throw three grand at gearbox i should beable to do something. still looking and am not going to rush into anything. if anyone knows of prices i would be interested, thanks for your help.

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
The T-56 is what I'd consider, they are however in high demand. They are expensive, but not as expensive as a ZF by a long way, also more common and cheaper than the supra 6 speed. The T-56 would require a custom bellhousing which I'm pretty sure is available through CRS, you would also have to modify the tailshaft. The clutch might also be fun, I know it is when they fit them to falcons.

Now I'm gonna throw around a few numbers because this is something I've thought about a lot. An interesting thing about the commodore version of the T-56 is that its top ratio is 0.5:1, generally used with a diff ratio of 3.46:1. The top ratio in a VN auto is 0.70, manual is 0.73 with a diff ratio of 3.08:1. 0.5 with 3.46's in the arse is pretty tall even for a stock LS1, so for a 5 litre it might be an idea to put in some shorter diff gears if you want 6th to be useful. Oddly enough using 4.11 gears which are easily available would mean that the revs at 100km/h in top gear would almost exactly the same as with the standard box and gears. To me that sounds like a recipe for plenty of fun, especially with a couple of mods thrown at the engine.

Anyway, what I've just outlined is my plan for drivetrain once I've got some cash. It could probably be done for around the three grand mark if you shop around for the parts and do the work yourself. If you intend to pay someone else to do the labour, three grand would easily get you a T5 conversion with change and thats about it.

camshafto

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg maloo
thanks pandaman thats alot to take in but is very useful. from what i can gather the diff has already had the shorter diff gears put in, as for the engine it has a set of pacemakers, coldair intake,a decent cam and a chip. it flies and will easily light up the rears in second gear doin about 60kph. going to get a dyno tune in a couple of weeks to see what it really has. with the engine as it is i am now convinced to go with the T-56. thanks very much for everyones help.cheers.