Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6 years later, 2 kids a gas tank and the rear is now too low. Advice needed please!!

plasmid2

Reaction score
I know this has probably been done to death before, but I need some help from someone that has experience with king spring codes.

Some years ago I had my 2001 VX commodore lowered on king springs. It is now our family car with baby seats in the back and prams in the boot. Since having it lowered I also had it converted to gas.... so also a gas tank in the back.

It is just too low now and it is just not practical anymore. From center of wheel hub to rear guard is approx. 310mm. The tire sits well inside the guard.

The springs in the back are KHRL-46. According to king springs catalog this comes under the low category. Not super low or ultra low just low.

I want to RAISE the rear now by at least 20-30mm. Again according to the catalog I might be ok to go to KHRS-125 standard springs. I am happy with the front and I presume raising the rear won't effect the front too much. The fronts sit about 10mm above the tire.

Anyone with experience please.

Cheers.

db_notso

diagnostic technician...
Reaction score
Members Ride
vt v6, mods(susp brakesetc...)
if its too low in the back with the extra weight then you need to go up springs
so say for e.g. from low to standard
or from fe2 to fe1

the "low" springs are designed for standard non-lpg car so as such sit lower than expected
would at least go standards but this will be about an inch or so lower than a normal standard car without lpg and weight
if you add enough weight you can lower any car by one to two inches so if excessive weight maybe even rasied springs by one amount
e.g. fe2 to fr1 (these are standard speak for slightly higher or lower)
e.g. fr1 = slightly raised
fe2 = normal
fe3 = lows

plasmid2

Reaction score
thanks onlinejames.

I presume this was on a VX?

So you went from stock springs to standard king springs? So it lifted the car up higher than stock?

Do you have codes?

Thanks for your help.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
You could also try getting new king lows.
Your current set may have sagged with the weight and age.

plasmid2

Reaction score
I did think of that. For a set of rears they are about $140 off ebay and I was going to fit them my self. However, if they are not what I want I have wasted $140!

Cheers.

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
What you reckon there isn't a 17yr old on her with his mums ex shopping trolley that wont want them? :D

Worth a hit I reckon mate.

onlinejames

Reaction score
yes it was a vx berlina , had standard springs from factory, i put khrs-125 springs in and got a lift, mind you i believe the original springs had sagged somewhat, i dont have fe2 suspension
the berlina with stock wheels , was sitting at 640 mm thats ground to bottom of rear guard, it now sits at 700mm

plasmid2

Reaction score
Ok the plot thickens.

I emailed an ebay king springs seller for advice.

He/She tells me that the KHRL-46 that I have on the rear are superlow not low for a VX commodore!! I suppose a trick for young players!! This should lower it by 50mm to stock. Obviously over the last 5-6 years and the weight in the back they probably sagged more.

Not really any wiser as do which to go for.

Cheers.