Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

$62,464 seems a bit steep for a VXR

mpower

Reaction score
Members Ride
V2 CV8 Monaro and VF SSV Redline
With respect to European Brand rip offs here on "Treasure Island", I saw a Mercedes C250 on a stand at a Mall the other week with all pricing broken down. I kid you not, the "dealer delivery fee" was $3850 for this 2.0 litre engined car which excluding the usual on road costs was around $62000(incl GST). These arrogant retailers are treating customers like stupid pigs to the slaughter and many of the idiot consumers here on Treasure Island are sucking it up.

pretty much, we are getting shafted left, right and sideways until we bleed.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Can only hope that you aren't judging people by the colour of their skin as Australia is a multi-racial country...

...It is a very disturbing view against Chinese. I have many Chinese friends but none of them are driving $100K+ car...

I doubt if anyone would set up a car manufacturing business here in Australia for the local market only. Total annual new vehicle sales is around 1 million here in Australia, UK alone has over 2 millions. Toyota would have continued to make cars here but couldn't do it on their own. Everything is on economy of scales to compete in the global market, unless the product is so unique and people willing to pay a premium over the others.
You’ll notice I worded my post very carefully to avoid offending anybody, and I’m certainly not trying to have a dig st anybody inparticular! After all, we’re ALL migrants.

And a ‘disturbing view against chinese’? Again, Im CERTAINLY not attacking’ international individuals. Damn, they’ve done well for themselves - and in their shoes I’d do the same. Just like they seem to do, I’d purchse land close to the cbd, develop it and sell it off for a decent profit.

My post was purely regarding the governments decisions to no longer support local manufacturing and other contributing factors.

Last edited:

dazinau

Reaction score
Members Ride
Motorsport
I don't know where you get the price of $62, 464 from because looking at the build price on that car for NSW the figures are as follows. Bear in mind the AUD is weak against the Euro (0.63 Euro to 1 AUD at time of writing) and so anything out of the Euro zone is going to be relatively expensive in AUD terms.
Holden VXR Liftback (from Holden web site)
RRP (incl GST) $55,990
On Road Costs NSW $ 4,964
(NSW Regn, 3rd Party insurance
NSW State sales tax, dealer delivery fee)

Total On Road NSW $ 60,954

In the land of cheapest GM cars, USA, they are selling this 2018 car as a Buick Regal GS but with 19 inch wheels and tyres rather than the 20 inch we get here. The USD is much stronger against the Euro than the AUD.

But if we take the Net US RR price and compare it with the Aust price adjusted for AUD-USD exchange rate , GST, a higher wheel and tyre spec with 20 inch wheels on the Aust RHD car plus the driver confidence package included in the Aust model but an extra cost option on the US spec cars, this is what you get:

1. USA 2018 Buick Regal GS 19 inch wheels/tyres
NET RRP USD 39070 (excludes the 925 freight charge and excludes any taxes, fees, dealer fees and other on road costs)
Add optional driver confidence package USD $1690 (included in the price of the Aust model)
Total Net USD 40,760

2. Convert USD price to AUD at 0.78

USD40,760 = AUD 52,256

3. Add cost of 20 inch wheels /tyres as per Aust RHD model AUD 800

4. Add Aust GST at 10%
AUD $ 52256
AUD $ 800 - 20 inch wheels/tyres
Total Net AUD $ 53056
Add GST $5305 (10% GST)
Total AUD 58361 (incl GST) (Does Not include any On Road Costs)

But GM is not selling this car here at AUD 58361(incl GST) Net of on road costs but at AUD 55,990 (incl GST) Net of on road costs.

Furthermore, once this model has been on sale for 6 -8 months, if you could not negotiate a $2000 discount on the VXR , especially for in stock vehicles, I would be surprised. With this discount you would be at $58,954 Including On Road Drive Away.

If you don't want a VXR you can still get the same 3.6 V6 engine, auto trans and AWD drive train in the RS Liftback for
$42490 ON The Road(NSW price).

With respect to European Brand rip offs here on "Treasure Island", I saw a Mercedes C250 on a stand at a Mall the other week with all pricing broken down. I kid you not, the "dealer delivery fee" was $3850 for this 2.0 litre engined car which excluding the usual on road costs was around $62000(incl GST). These arrogant retailers are treating customers like stupid pigs to the slaughter and many of the idiot consumers here on Treasure Island are sucking it up.

That was the price on Carsales.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
Holden can put whatever price they like on the car, but in the end the public will decide the worth of a car. Case in point Holden Astra.

The ZB is overpriced at launch and at some point that will be corrected or Holden will have a lot of unsold inventory and no customers for it.

I remember when the Opel Insignia was last here. They flopped. The local Holden dealer rented out an empty yard across the road as "Opel clearance centre" presumably not wishing to sully their image with stale produce.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Opel flopped because GM have no ability to think ahead even as long as a 3-year-term politician.
How long did Skoda have to sell here before anyone bought one ... 10 years? No probably around 7-8 I guess. Yet GM pulls the pin on Opel in only 2. No idea.

Insignia failed because Opel failed, and then it failed again because VF was frankly (unusually?) such a good car.
If you compare the twin-turbo AWD Insignia to a same-priced Mazda6 of the late noughties, the Insignia really should’ve done a lot better.

I don’t think Opel’s failure, nor the existence of a good & superior in some ways local alternative, will affect the ZB.
I do think it’s overpriced for something of that spec-level with a Holden badge though. Holden dealers are used to dropping prices a lot further under RRP than a lot of other dealers; but people tend to pre-judge on RRP, not what they could actually buy for if they actually made it to a dealer.

VF2

Reaction score
Members Ride
SSV-Redline
Wonder what employee pricing/discount is like if at all for all these new models. Way to lazy to go into my local dealer and ask, especially just out of curiosity.

DjBrenno

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf CalaisV 3.6 & 2017 SSVR Auto
Wonder what employee pricing/discount is like if at all for all these new models. Way to lazy to go into my local dealer and ask, especially just out of curiosity.
Depending on model, Holden ambassador family discount is $3.8-$7k off rrp. Friends discount $1-$2k off best negotiated price.

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
I just don’t get their pricing I really don’t get it. Not that I will ever buy one but just compare the market! What’s wrong with Holden?

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
I just don’t get their pricing I really don’t get it. Not that I will ever buy one but just compare the market! What’s wrong with Holden?
Yep. Just a few similar sized sedans to compare with......
Top spec sports V6 Camry and V6 AWD Subaru Liberty can be had on road for high 40's. Top spec Mazda 6 low 50's on the road.
Top spec VXR and calais 62k to 64k on road.........

woooo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Multiple
Quis erat fusce dolor turpis sociosqu ad nec platea vulputate sagittis, lacus praesent lectus maecenas habitasse congue rutrum vitae class arcu metus, tempor aliquam volutpat faucibus ornare feugiat ornare aliquam pellentesque morbi ligula non habitant dictumst ad duis quam eros, metus aliquam etiam sociosqu pulvinar mi magna cursus rutrum litora ornare aenean dui quis, per ut quisque convallis velit faucibus sollicitudin auctor, fames varius dapibus sapien netus ultrices tristique dapibus quisque feugiat gravida.

Last edited: