Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

64 Impala 350 Chev

I

Impala

Hey, new to the forums, and a changed ford fan...

Soon buying a 64 impala from states... and i was wondering if the new Gen holden 350's could be switched for the impala? Are the engine mounts in roughly same position> and has it been done?> (NO IDEA)

Reason why is because i want something cruisable with injection... dont want to waste money on constantly looking after the older 350's... plus the engine is buggered in the car anyways...

Thanks guys

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
why dont you inject a 400 chev, holley do a complete EFI package all you need is the bottum end and a pair of heads. with forged pistons and a lot of head work i recken youd push 400-500hp at the flywheel n/a

I

Impala

How much would i be looking at for that setup???

Not that big a budget on engine, theres prob a lot of work going into pump setup & paint/interior... which is why i was basically after a bare 350 block & head... as they arent too expensive...

Can anybody get me a figure id be looking at if i was going to buy a base 350?

cheers

H

Hector martinez

in the trading post you can pick up 350 blocks and heads for around $700 maybe cheaper! just out of interest how much does it cost to get a car shipped over from the states? I wouldnt mind getting a 69 Camaro when im older and have money to blow on cars

I

Impala

well... depends on cost of car...

Im 19... and there is no age to do it... ive just decided to get it in now because im buying a US$300 64', slightly rusted, roof needs repair, engine needs rebuild, etc which will take a few years.

Importing will cost roughly 2-3K... then you have to add %20 (Import/Stamp Duty + Gst) of the cost (Car + Freight) and you have import cost... Usually, the company you go with will clear quarantine for you (but might charge few hundred if dirty), so make sure its had a few washes before its shipped.

My parents will be over there in jan-feb, so im giving them money to pick one up for me, including a set of 13-14" dayton's and a full hydro-pump set... to bring back over here...

All rust/sanding & panelling will be done by me and some mates, paint by house of kolour in candy red, 2 gold pinstripes up side & bro is doing dash&bonnet/boot airbrushing.

For a camaro though... id say the cost is a shitload more... the cost of the car depends on stamp duty, but one thing on your side is the cost of compliancing (govt. is focusing too hard on jap turbo imports & making it easier on american muscle)

Thanks for the info...

digitok

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Exec
The Gen III 5.7L 350 (346) are $5,000 brand new from holden..

Cheers

Lexx

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT II S/C S
Why not buy a 65' Pontiac Parisienne. They're lighter, have a mad front end style and are already here in Oz. Save yourself a couple of grand and look locally

hispeedvp

VP SS Ute
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Group A Ute
have a mildly worked 400 chev at work that just sold for $7000.00, every thing is brand new, except for block wich was acid dipped.

vtcommodo3800

Got me a v8!
Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 VZ SS Thunder
i believe from what i have been told it is the same block not 100% though.

clixanup

Has Left
Reaction score
vtcommodo3800 said:
i believe from what i have been told it is the same block not 100% though.
BZZZZT.

Guess again.

It's all new. There is not 1 part from the 350 which can be used on the LS1.

The only dimension that the LS1 shares with the older block is the spacing between bore centres.