Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6L Exhaust Options

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Hi Guys,
I thought since there wasn't much on here it's time to put something up.

The VE has stayed stock for long enough, waiting on the OTRCAI from Enhanced Automotive and will then head down for a tune, that in itself should see some nice improvements but there's still plenty left in reserve.

In the mean time I'm left with the daunting task of picking an exhaust (cat back).

For me I would be happy with a complete exhaust system including extractors and cats, OTRCAI and tune, with the slim possibility of supercharging down the road a bit.

Xforce seems to be by far the most popular although having only heard youtube videos it's not exactly the best way of obtaining input so that's where you come in. Any suggestions? 2.5", 3", brands etc?

The 6L just doesn't seem to have that nice note a V8 should have (after all it is a luxury vehicle so I can't blame them), although I must say wind it up a bit and it doesn't sound half bad but that's no fun since you're at the speed limit in next to no time flat and it doesn't take much more after that to be heading into car impounding territory (not that I know this from experience).

I'm not after something loud and it must be drone free (I guess this is open to interpretation), being the 6 speed auto this seems to be more common but I guess at the end of the day I don't want to be one of these idiots who think they are cool at the lights deafening the person next to them at idle with their windows up.

The whole sleeper idea really appeals to me ;) It's all about surprising your opponent, right?

Cheers
Darren

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Mate my suggestion would be an F1 system by Mr Muffler. They are brisbane based but they have done exausts for people in other states as well. I'm not sure if they have exhaust shops in other states that install their systems or whether they ship their system to you and you have to get it fitted/do it yourself.

I have heard great things about this system and apparently brad (the owner) has been testing them with 888 racing. They are supposed to be 100% drone free. Mr Muffler is a sponsor of another holden forum (not sure if its legal to mention here lol) there is plenty of info on there about their F1 system. They have their own sponsor section in the forum with quite a few threads about the system, with some photo's and sound files as well.

CSP

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
my car
If you want to NOT have to replace the exhaust down the track, go with 3 inch. If you cam it or blow it, a 2.5 inch won't be the best.

I'd recommend a full 3 inch difilipo with coated headers. It's what I will be getting eventually.

Prodrive

Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SS
Difilipo?!?!?!

It drons big time!! I know cos I had one fitted for a whole two days before I couldn't put up with it any longer.

Darren

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
BYD Atto 3 / RAV4 Hybrid
Cheers guys, might give Mr Muffler a go, price varies a massive amount.

Around Adelaide it seems $1900 - $2100 for Xforce cat back in 2.5" stainless.

Ebay although Minux said becareful is around $1100 including postage from what seems to be a genuine seller, the difference to me is that could well very be extractors or no extractors straight away or a couple of high flow cats.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
darren i run difilpo big boy cat back duel 3.0 into single 3.5 and no drone, after 10,000 k to carbon up. sound's good very happy.

prodrive you should have waited until it carboned up.

joshtaylor87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Lumina
Cheers guys, might give Mr Muffler a go.

Yeah Mr Muffler is pretty exy to I think but you definitely get a very good system. The F1 mufflers are designed by Brad himself so he gets exactly what he wants rather than having to try and make other branded mufflers work with his system.

Johnsy

★★★★★
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS Wagon & VF SV6 Ute
I just replaced my rear two mufflers to hi-flow red backs and i noticed big improvement on the sound but not that much on performance.. i know my motor is slightly different to yours but for a quick mod to improve the sound it was well worth it.. my next step is to remove the hotdogs just before the rears to free it up a bit and apparently it will make it sound a bit deeper....

vol800

Vader
Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice-V
I fitted 2.5" X-Force to my VE 6L BUT the 2.5" comes in '3' formats, quiet/medium/loud.
Loud = Drone City!!!! Medium = drone around 1800rpm but cuts out after 80kmh but comes back at 115.. (so I've heard :p ), quiet = What's the point?

My 2.5" Sounds good though & believe it or not.. my economy got better once I got over kicking it in the guts at every set of lights to hear it!
I 'felt' like it gave it a bit extra but without dyno.... who really knows.
As the pipes got a coating of carbon they just sounded better & better.

BUT the price you're quoting is HUGE unless you're talking fully S/Steel?

I got mild steel on ebay for $690 on ebay (catback) and the beautiful thing is... I fitted them myself because it's SOOOOOOOOOO Easy. just a spanner!
It was a true slip on system- couldn't have been easier.
Anyway, good luck!

SIG-054

Reaction score
Members Ride
Y-Series Senator Signature
Darren you should go search on the LS1 forum.

The Stepper headers are apparantly reallygood and with the 6L the twin 3inch is the way to go, ill get a price through Martin at Willall racing if u like, or since brad is tuning it, why dont u get a quote through him for the best options? im sure he would have seen what works best on a VE with his tuning experiences.