Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I got the Crewman purring along like a kitten this afternoon, a big thanks to Kyle Carter, he is a legend when it comes to tuning 6L80E. It is hard to describe how much better the vehicle is to drive, we use to have a V6 2015 Holden Calais and the Crewman now would be every bit as smooth as it to drive, its almost as good as my HSV GTSR. I had a very limited run tonight on the way home but it looks like at 60klm/hr the engine is doing around 1300rpm, 80klm/hr 1500rpm and 95ishklm/hr 1800rpm.

CrewmanCrazy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SS Crewman
Awesome! What rmp did it do in 4th before with the 4l65 at 95kmph I believe 6th is about the same ratio as 4th in the 4 speed? Would be a weapon or even more a weapon in my stroker and the 3.7s in the back. Would buy a box tomorrow if I had somewhere to pull it out not on the grass I'm over that for the moment. Are you selling the kit yet just for future's sake as I might buy an additional cross 8? Can dm me price. I just have noooo idea how to use dms here.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
Awesome! What rmp did it do in 6th with the 4l65 at 95kmph I believe 6th is a the same ratio? Would be a weapon or even more a weapon in my stroker and the 3.7s in the back. Would buy a box tomorrow if I had somewhere to pull it out. Are you selling the kit yet just for future's sake? Can dm me price. I just have noooo idea how to use dms here.
Post the how to DM question on site feed back and FAQ’s. ;)

The 4L80e is only 4 speed so never had an rpm for 6th gear.

If you have a regular 2wd SS, there is already a straight forward conversion thread which is linked into the start of this thread. It does not require any of the adaptors that this thread is themed on. Does require a custom tail shaft.

For 2wd V6, it’s been done as well. Again, the hardest part seems to be the electronics and shifter surround. Also requires a custom tail shaft.

Once you DM @CWG he will email you the details.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@CWG What has come of the old trans harness?

Exciting news and I guess the best bit will be seeing how it goes on the rally.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Awesome! What rmp did it do in 4th before with the 4l65 at 95kmph I believe 6th is about the same ratio as 4th in the 4 speed? Would be a weapon or even more a weapon in my stroker and the 3.7s in the back. Would buy a box tomorrow if I had somewhere to pull it out not on the grass I'm over that for the moment. Are you selling the kit yet just for future's sake as I might buy an additional cross 8? Can dm me price. I just have noooo idea how to use dms here.
Hi Crewman Crazy I don't actually know what the engine rpm was with the 4L65, it would be close, but the real advantage is the additional 5th gear ratio. At 60 to 80 klm per hr the 4L65 could not decide if it wanted to be in 3rd or fourth, the 6l80 is as smooth as silk. If I did not have a gear display, on the drive home last night, I would not have known if it was in 4th 5th or 6th. The other thing that originally drew me to the project was the low first gear, which I believe will be a huge advantage on some off the rally stages we often find ourselves on. I will be selling a kit as soon as I am happy that with my testing and validation results, I will send you further details. Regards Clive
4L65E3.061.6210.69
6L80E4.032.361.531.150.850.67

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
@CWG What has come of the old trans harness?

Exciting news and I guess the best bit will be seeing how it goes on the rally.
I have a one day rally on the 2nd off May at Surat, which has added some stress to last weeks decision to dump the Adventra and stick it in the Crewman. The easiest part off the whole mod has been making the mechanical parts. I have spent about 4 days on the electrical interface and the programming. The TCM2650 is a great bit off gear, but the information provided with it leaves a lot to be desired, it is not for the faint off heart or a novice fiddler like myself. But with the aid off a guy who has been programming 6L80 for 6 years he was able to quickly work out what was what, and get it shifting as smooth as silk. I have also purchased HP Tuners so now I can go to the next level, dangerous fiddler. I still have a few things on my to do list, console cover, manual tune in the engine, so it stops complaining that its mate the4l65 is missing and the much talked about tap shift, but they wont stop me going rally driving. With the tap shift I have ordered another controller called an Overline Command module, which should just wire straight in and work. Cheers Clive

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
My 6L80E 6 speed project has almost come to an end, I now have a Cross 8 AWD Crewman that drives like a VF Calais, I wanted to say it drives like my HSV GTSR, but it is never going to be that good. The transmission and transfer case fit like a glove in the tunnel, still using the std transfer case mount and tail shafts, both front and rear. The gear shift points are awesome and for a 2.5-ton AWD, with a bog stock LS1 and a snorkel, it will do 0-100 in 7.7 seconds. The real test will be the first rally in two weeks’ time, at Surat in QLD, after which I expect to see my fuel usage down and my rally times up. I have had a lot of learnings along the way, but the highlight has been getting the PCS TCM2650 operational, it is an awesome little gateway controller, but unfortunately the information on how the controller does what it does is sparse at best. What I have found is you need the TPS, you need the engine RPM, you need a brake signal. The TCM2650 has a torque table that feeds the 6L80E controller (T43 A6) torque, based on TPS and engine RPM, and during the programming phase you need to ensure that the check box that say, “USE 3D Torque Table For GMLAN” and don’t worry about looking for the 3D table it is actually the 2D main torque table. The A6 then uses this information to set clutch pressures and if you leave it alone it works like a charm. The other small thing I found, for those who find this in the future and can’t get the 6L80 out of 3 gear limp mode, is that PCS has the switched power labeled incorrectly in their harness, they splice the switch voltage, in the transmission plug, to pin 12 and pin 9 and call it IGN. However, pin 9 in the A6 in looking for an Acc/run/start. The ACC feed is the wake-up signal for the A6 and if it does not see it will throw a code and go I into 3rd gear limp mode, until you clear the fault. Pin 12 does call for IGN feed, but I could not be bothered stripping the harness apart and simply switch my 12v ignition feed to a feed which was ACC/RUN/START and the fault and the problem went away. The brake signal turns off the torque converter lock up clutch. I could not get the reverse out signal to work and could not get and reliable info on how to make it work. Tap shift work is still ongoing and I will post once I have chased it to it end, whatever that may be. The TCM2650 is just a gateway controller, it comes with its own programming program, but you will need a base O/S and program in your T43 A6 and if you want to mess with that you will need a secondary program, I bought HP Tuners. I have also not done any further work on the integration off the VF shifter into the VY console, when I do I will do an update. Finally, to all those people who have sent me emails I will, email you further info on kit timing early next week. For those that would like more info PM me you email address. Time to find a new modification challenge.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I have a one day rally on the 2nd off May at Surat, which has added some stress to last weeks decision to dump the Adventra and stick it in the Crewman. The easiest part off the whole mod has been making the mechanical parts. I have spent about 4 days on the electrical interface and the programming. The TCM2650 is a great bit off gear, but the information provided with it leaves a lot to be desired, it is not for the faint off heart or a novice fiddler like myself. But with the aid off a guy who has been programming 6L80 for 6 years he was able to quickly work out what was what, and get it shifting as smooth as silk. I have also purchased HP Tuners so now I can go to the next level, dangerous fiddler. I still have a few things on my to do list, console cover, manual tune in the engine, so it stops complaining that its mate the4l65 is missing and the much talked about tap shift, but they wont stop me going rally driving. With the tap shift I have ordered another controller called an Overline Command module, which should just wire straight in and work. Cheers Clive
The overline controller has not solved my issue with tap shift, I feel that there is a mismatch between the VE A6 O/S and the signal from the VF shifter, maybe I should have stuck with the VE shifter. Anyway now that the auto part is working so well I will just keep fiddling with the tap shift and see if I cant cobble something together. In the end, with the old transmission codes I simply just turned them all off and the engine seems to be happy now, probably lucky its just an old LS1.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I can not state enough how appreciative we are that you’ve posted all this with us.
It’s a really exciting project that stands out as something innovative, different and on the high end of practical.

Thankyou.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I can not state enough how appreciative we are that you’ve posted all this with us.
It’s a really exciting project that stands out as something innovative, different and on the high end of practical.

Thankyou.
Thanks Fu I will eventually post the war and piece document I have written

Reactions: Lex