Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I'm off the option the biggest gains in the last decade for drive-ability has been in the transmissions so fitting late model 6 and 8 speed trannies in to the older 4l60e equiped cars is going to be another reason to keep these older cars on the road.

Kudos for seeing it through. Hopefully the young chap can get his **** sorted and then you guys will have a great aussie product as a complete kit.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I'm off the option the biggest gains in the last decade for drive-ability has been in the transmissions so fitting late model 6 and 8 speed trannies in to the older 4l60e equiped cars is going to be another reason to keep these older cars on the road.

Kudos for seeing it through. Hopefully the young chap can get his **** sorted and then you guys will have a great aussie product as a complete kit.
Thanks Immortality I agree the 4L60/65 is an old platform, and yes I hope the other thing sorts itself out. Cheers Clive

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Sit down with a quite beer read the attachments and let me know if you have any questions. Cheers Clive

Attachments

• 04AW7F.pdf
    569.6 KB · Views: 196
  • 6L80 Kit Release.pdf
    135.5 KB · Views: 351
  • ADE039215 Parts.pdf
    283.3 KB · Views: 205
  • TCM2650 to Cross 8 and Adventra Wiring.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 222

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
1618817398635.gif

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
With the transfer case seal, were you able to source one from BMW, or did you try BMW, as these transfer cases are used on them as well. It also highlights opportunities for selling the adaptor in Europe where LS swapping their AWD BMW's that use the same transfer case and 5L50E is popular. At the moment, they convert them to 2wd.

Last edited:

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I did not real try to source the transfer case seal, we just knocked it out, it looked ok so we just put it back. I had full intention of replacing it once the testing was completed, but now that its in the rally car, it will more than likely stay there until it starts to leaks. At some point I am going to try and put together a bearing and seal kit for the transfer case. The seal I am supplying for the adapter housing is the same one the 4WD version off the 6L80 uses. The 2WD and the 4WD case are the same part so there is a place for the seal to go. My initial plan was to just cut the thread off the 2WD output shaft bang the transmission rear seal and a couple off small welsh plugs into the transmission housing. This would have made my adapter housing much less complicated to machine, but as with all things, the 2WD output shaft has a different profile to the 4WD shaft where the seal sits. So plan "B" move the transmission output seal into my adapter housing and add the seal area on my new transfer case input shaft. Unfortunately whilst the transfer case is the same, on the 5L50, the STD adapter housing is quite different, so my adapter will not bolt up to a 5L50. I was planning on doing a V6 version to replace the 5L50, which may have been the same as the BMW, with a 6L45 or 6L50, but nothing off what I have done fits. I have shelved this development as the adapter housing is different, the 6L45/50 is a smaller housing than the 6L80 and the transfer case input shaft is different, the 6L45/50 have different output splines to the 6L80. I did have one late night though that I could put the 6L80E behind the V6, with the V6 bolted in and the 6L80 bolted in there is a convenient 28mm gap, between the two, that I could have made adapter plates for the engine to transmission case, the torque converter to flex plate and then some sort off spigot for the torque converter nose to sit in. I talked to my automatic transmission guy and he does no believe the V6 would be able to drive the V8 torque converter effectively. So this idea disappeared as quickly as it came. Cheers Clive

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
This was an interesting by product off my 6L80 testing and programming last week, I thought I would share. This is what addition torque looks like, when the cross track is working. I was so focused on the programming and why the transmission was not shifting nicely, which in the end it was, I did not notice the LHS park brake was dragging due to mud from the last rally, it eventually locked on which got my attention in a hurry. I believe what was happening is that the LHS park brake was slowing the wheel enough that the Cross track assumed the RHS rear and possibly both fronts were slipping so it was applying the brakes. There was noting wrong with the transmission tune, it was just doing what it would do as the torque increased. Both graphs below were 0-60 klm hr runs with steady increase in throttle. You can see the torque is higher in the LH one, with the park brake dragging, which really sticks out when it changes from 3rd to 4th. You can also see the shift points spread out due to the additional resistance to forward movement. The right graph was a similar test, after we fixed the park brake.

Attachments

• Crewman Run.pdf
    102.7 KB · Views: 327

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Clive, going by what swims around in your head, the things your business does day to day must be some really cool stuff.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
We do have a few interesting products and projects on the go. ;)