Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Thanks you so much, the information is invaluable, I am like a kid in a candy shop.
I don't seem to have, Section 5 AWD ABS-TCS in the MY 2004 VY AWD Wagon Service Manual, any chance I can get that section if you have it?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
hmm. I don’t think I do. There is nothing about it in the VZ manual that I’ve found so far.

Some of the other models have omitted info where it is covered in other modules or models.

I’ll have a look tonight.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
No. I don't have it either.
It might be sensitive information?

I have found in section 12P, sheet 10, that states traction control does not use throttle intervention. It uses brake intervention.

I still have not found anything about traction control linked to the transmission wiring at all.

All literature about the Crosstrac system is about the Hummer traction control software in the ECM operating the brakes, and the BMW AWD system/transfercase being used, which is passive, in the sense it has no electronics.

All transmission wiring is the same as regular models.

*I might have a look in the Engine Management section, because there are also wiring diagrams in that bit.

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
I checked out the Road Boss Rally website.
What a great event.

Reactions: CWG

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Starting this thread out of my Cross 8 Thread
*will need some mod help to move posts into what will be an incredible thread.

Also including threads relating to 6L80 etc into pre VE Commodores, Manual 6 spd into CrossTrac systems.

This will also have uses for the US and European market where the LS is swapped into the AWD BMW E46. They currently swap to 2WD. With the CrossTrac and this adaptor they don't have to.

@CWG joined the forum to share the NV124 Transfercase to 6L80/90e adaptor he is designing & engineering.

In a round about way, we owe this innovation to the needs of the Road Boss Rally which has raised over a $1 million dollars for charities over it decades long history.

Find out more here:
https://www.roadbossrally.com.au

Last edited:

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
@CWG, I think I found the location of the section you might be looking for.
Let me know if you have it in that location.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.42.57 am.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.42.57 am.png
    107.1 KB · Views: 199

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Thanks I have been trying to confirm that it does not look for an input about what the transmission is doing, you don't happen to have a manual with the cross track operation in it?
After reading through quite a bit off info, awesomely supplied by Fu Manchu thank you Fu, Cross Track employs Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) software to control wheelspin under acceleration and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), that works in conjunction with the ABS and Cornering Braking Control (CBC) to provide maximum braking force. It uses the STD four channel ABS/TCS control from the 2WD commodore, the difference seems to be in the programming logic, I cant find any information on the Cross Track logic. The biggest difference is that the cross track does not limit the engine performance, where as the 2WD version, with GEN3 the PCM retards the amount off spark advance and the throttle relaxer control module reduces the throttle opening. The TCS will, once it detects wheel slip condition will apply the brakes 4-6 times a second until the condition is under control. Whilst I would like to know Holden's logic for the cross track system, for the purpose off what I am doing the transmission has no influence on the Cross Track system.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
@CWG, I think I found the location of the section you might be looking for.
Let me know if you have it in that location.
I think this might be my issue the PDF navigation is not working, the only way I can see the service information is to open the file structure and go through each section, so it may just be the case that this section was originally put in the incorrect folder location, which would not matter if the PDF navigation was working as it would take you to which ever folder it was stored in. Thanks to the info you supplied I am now 100% confident that the transmission has no input into the Cross Track functionality. This makes sense as you can get wheel slip in and gear at any time, so there would be no need for the controller to care what gear you are in.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
I think this might be my issue the PDF navigation is not working, the only way I can see the service information is to open the file structure and go through each section, so it may just be the case that this section was originally put in the incorrect folder location, which would not matter if the PDF navigation was working as it would take you to which ever folder it was stored in. Thanks to the info you supplied I am now 100% confident that the transmission has no input into the Cross Track functionality. This makes sense as you can get wheel slip in and gear at any time, so there would be no need for the controller to care what gear you are in.
Snap found it, hiding in the MY05 VZ Section 5 assume. Now just need 5 minutes to sit down and have a read.

Reactions: Lex

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
After reading through quite a bit off info, awesomely supplied by Fu Manchu thank you Fu, Cross Track employs Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) software to control wheelspin under acceleration and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), that works in conjunction with the ABS and Cornering Braking Control (CBC) to provide maximum braking force. It uses the STD four channel ABS/TCS control from the 2WD commodore, the difference seems to be in the programming logic, I cant find any information on the Cross Track logic. The biggest difference is that the cross track does not limit the engine performance, where as the 2WD version, with GEN3 the PCM retards the amount off spark advance and the throttle relaxer control module reduces the throttle opening. The TCS will, once it detects wheel slip condition will apply the brakes 4-6 times a second until the condition is under control. Whilst I would like to know Holden's logic for the cross track system, for the purpose off what I am doing the transmission has no influence on the Cross Track system.

I haven't read back through the whole thread so it may have been said earlier but Holden borrowed the Cross Track AWD system from another GM marque and as such I don't think Holden had any input into how it works, rather it just adapted it into the Holden models. IIRC the system came from Hummer.