Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.
After reading through quite a bit off info, awesomely supplied by Fu Manchu thank you Fu, Cross Track employs Automatic Brake Differential (ABD) software to control wheelspin under acceleration and Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD), that works in conjunction with the ABS and Cornering Braking Control (CBC) to provide maximum braking force. It uses the STD four channel ABS/TCS control from the 2WD commodore, the difference seems to be in the programming logic, I cant find any information on the Cross Track logic. The biggest difference is that the cross track does not limit the engine performance, where as the 2WD version, with GEN3 the PCM retards the amount off spark advance and the throttle relaxer control module reduces the throttle opening. The TCS will, once it detects wheel slip condition will apply the brakes 4-6 times a second until the condition is under control. Whilst I would like to know Holden's logic for the cross track system, for the purpose off what I am doing the transmission has no influence on the Cross Track system.
I’d say the reason for the difference is when off road, you will be wanting all the power available rather than compromising power in a tricky spot and getting into some trouble.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
The software is borrowed from the Hummer H2.

The transfer case is borrowed from the E46 BMW. I have seen quoted that GM made all the components, however I think it’s a misquote, in that the transfer case is the only thing not made by GM.

Often some cars quoted as using the same transfer case, actually use a different one that is chain driven.

I get the impression this was a fun project for the Holden engineers to get into.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Snap found it, hiding in the MY05 VZ Section 5 assume. Now just need 5 minutes to sit down and have a read.
See post 26
I found in the VY one. Might be more accurate for wiring.

Reactions: CWG

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found this promo video about the CrossTrac system.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
Found this video of the manual conversion.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Quick update, I could not find suitable material to make the stub shaft between the transmission output and the transfer case input. So I have elected to remake the transfer case input shaft with the 32 splines to suit the 6L80 output shaft. This will work out good as it will do away with the intermediate shaft. Both this shaft and the billet aluminium adaptor housing are now at manufacture and I will have them in 4 weeks. I have also order the transmission. I am hopeful to start instilling the tranny in January.

Fu Manchu

Reaction score
Members Ride
This is soooo good.

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Say hello to the mule, I will be using this, CX8, to trial fit the 6L80E transmission and get it running before transplanting to the X8.

Attachments

• CX8 Mule.jpg
    CX8 Mule.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 150

CWG

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 GTSR
Fu Manchu, Quick update, I have finished the required 6L80 to STD transfer case adapter and hope to get the new transfer case input shafts next week, close now.

Attachments

• IMG_5380m.JPG
    IMG_5380m.JPG
    339.6 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_5381m.JPG
    IMG_5381m.JPG
    363.9 KB · Views: 171
  • IMG_5383m.JPG
    IMG_5383m.JPG
    363.4 KB · Views: 176

Fu Manchu