Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6l80e transmission slipping. What could do this?

SteveCarter

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice / HR Special
Got a 2016 WN SII Caprice which has the 6 speed auto.
Under moderate acceleration around bends when transmission goes to upshift sometimes the revs go up but gear doesn’t engage. I lift off for a second, gear engages three I carry on.
Most commonly noticed on negative camber roundabouts or turning right from a full stop at a T intersection going from 1st to 2nd.
I don’t run this car hard and it’s fully main dealer serviced.
No leaks under car and it sits in a garage up to a week at a time so if there were leaks I’d expect to show on floor.

Any ideas?

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
Have you checked the fluid level?
Actually can one check the fluid level on a 6 speeder?
I know I can on my VE 4 speeder.

SteveCarter

Reaction score
Members Ride
WN Caprice / HR Special
Have you checked the fluid level?
Actually can one check the fluid level on a 6 speeder?
I know I can on my VE 4 speeder.
Nope which really sucks. I'll see what Holden say. I don't have any high hopes though as I'm going to guess they will charge me around $100 for 1/2 hours work to check the fluid level while having my car for a whole day then say they can't find anything wrong with it. The fluid level is fixed at the inspection plug level so can't even slightly overfill if I wanted to unless I unevenly jack up the car. I'll probably just end up having to accept it and be really careful on those off camber bends.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
yes you can check the level but you really need a hoist to make it easy.
you could still do it on stands but its a pain

atf.jpg

MattSAU2XR8

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Auto 2007
Flare or slip from 2nd to 3rd was common with early VEs - see the following justcommodores page...

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...-2nd-3rd-flaring-issue-whats-best-fix.257487/

However out to have been fixed with a better seal design well before 2016

As others have said could be low on fluid - although if not leaking hard to imagine where it could have gone, unless someone didn't check level properly when it was new

If its a 2016 would it still be under warranty - if so Holden could investigate. Of if mileage was well under 100 kkms and becoming undriveable perhaps claim under statutory warranty - no excuse for this really when this style of box had been in production for more than 10 years...

Otherwise probably easiest (although still not easy) to find an auto place that can check the fluid level is correct, and assuming it is then diagnose problem and advise on cost to fix it. Unfortunately though they may well say that they need to pull it apart to diagnose it, by which point its hard to avoid spending the best part of $5k for a rebuild since they will likely say 'we think it may be this seal/switch/valve etc. and would be happy to replace it and refit and test transmission, but can't offer warranty as you now have one new part in one old transmission.

If it was me and I had access to a hoist or some other SAFE way to elevate car I'd check the level myself, and perhaps put in an extra litre which seems a popular bandaid, and then if this didn't solve problem ask a trans shop for the best diagnosis they could do without removing the transmission (so hopefully under $500), and then if they still couldn't work it out just drive it till it failed and then buy a new one. For reference Holden usually fit autos from Fluidrive with 2 year warranty for around $5k, and Fluidrive Box Hill in Melbourne (different business) do similar for about $4k. Many others charge around $3k to $5k but offer only 1 year warranty which is a bit ordinary.

HotdogNo1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSv Redline A6 W407
Last edited: