Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6l80e vs 4l80e vs 4l60e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
I haven't been able to find a thread on this, and some info websites can be a bit cryptic.
Want to build a stronger transmission for the wagon (vz exec), as I want to eventually boost it.
I've looked at 3 transmissions so far, the 6l80e, the 4l80e and the 4l60e. From what I can decipher, the 60e does better in highway use than the 4l80, as the 80 revs higher. However I was told that the 60 has a tendency to blow 2nd/3rd when under power.
In researching the 4l80, I stumbled across the 6spd, but can't find a clear comparison between the two.
Does anyone have any info/experience with these? What are the pros/cons to each?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
What engine are you wanting to attach it to? Basically the first number is the amount of gears and the second is some kind of supposed strength rating relating to torque.

6L80e/90e = VE/VF V8 6 speed box. Don't think the standard VZ ECU can account for the extra two gears.
4L60e/65e = 4 speed box for V6 and LS commodores, 4L65e only for LS.
4L80e/85e = Physically different and heavier duty version of 4L60e in a nutshell.

Biggest issue with the 4L80e/85e is that no cars over here use it. Depending on the engine you're using the V6 and V8 boxes are not interchangeable because of different bell housings and torque converters, so there is no V6 over here that uses the 6L80e or the 4L65e.

TBH if you're going to build it you're probably better off using the strongest variant of whatever box you already have (which I'm assuming is a 4L60e being an Exec). Aftermarket parts can probably resolve a lot of issues that you're reading about. The other two things you're going to have to factor in here is the possibility of a new tail shaft because of length variances between boxes if you swap and the electronic side of how the box is controlled, and if your ECU can actually work with that transmission. There's a bunch of aftermarket modules from the states which may work, there's a thread here where somebody over got the 6L80 into an Adventra.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Hmmm,

The 4L60e is an evolution of the T700R4 where as the 4L80e evolved from the older T400 (which was a heavy duty 3 speed auto) but with overdrive.

The biggest issue would be controlling the various transmissions. 4L80e upgrade wouldn't be to bad as it is still only a 4 speed but the 6L80e is a whole different kettle of fish.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Have a 4l60e built by a professional and just keep revs under 6000. You could have a 250rwkw engine that revs to 7k and it would kill boxes much more quickly than a 450rwkw engine that only revs to 5500 for example.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
I had a 4l80e in my blown ls3 clubsport. They are the strongest option with an overdrive. Th400 is pretty much the same thing just with 3 gears instead of the 4. Fitment was very tight in a Ve as they are a physically large box. New crossmember, mount, tailshaft were all required. Getting the box in the car was the easy part, getting it to work was an absolute nightmare, very expensive drawn out process which I would never want to go through again.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
If you're going to boost a Gen IV, using an E38/67 ECU, go for a 6l90e.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
So it sounds like the 4spd is the way to go.
I had a 4l80e in my blown ls3 clubsport. They are the strongest option with an overdrive. Th400 is pretty much the same thing just with 3 gears instead of the 4. Fitment was very tight in a Ve as they are a physically large box. New crossmember, mount, tailshaft were all required. Getting the box in the car was the easy part, getting it to work was an absolute nightmare, very expensive drawn out process which I would never want to go through again.
Did you have to do any body work? As in resizing the transmission tunnel etc. And what sort of problems did you have getting it to work? This is the first project of this size, so if its going to be a financial blackhole, I'll stick with what I have.
Have a 4l60e built by a professional and just keep revs under 6000. You could have a 250rwkw engine that revs to 7k and it would kill boxes much more quickly than a 450rwkw engine that only revs to 5500 for example.
Did you have that limited @6k or do you just monitor it? Also, you wouldn't happen to have a list on what you got done would you? I have managed to find bits and pieces from other forums/chats, but haven't really had a clear list.

Ccoastcalais

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf2 redline, Ve ssv
You have to take a hammer to the passenger side for the wiring plug to clear. You need to cut the ears off the bellhousing to fit it in the tunnnel. I highly recommend manualised box with a vacuum modulator to control line pressure. I wanted full automatic which created a lot of wiring/ programming problems. I spent 18k on the project to give you an idea of the budget you'll need