Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6l80e vs 4l80e vs 4l60e

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
You have to take a hammer to the passenger side for the wiring plug to clear. You need to cut the ears off the bellhousing to fit it in the tunnnel. I highly recommend manualised box with a vacuum modulator to control line pressure. I wanted full automatic which created a lot of wiring/ programming problems. I spent 18k on the project to give you an idea of the budget you'll need
Thanks. Looks like I'll stick with the 60 then. Might look at doing a switch later if/when it blows out.
Just get the 4l60e built to suit your needs.

https://forums.justcommodores.com.a...hift-kit-and-a-few-trans-rebuild-pics.274066/

Few pics of what I did there. It's limited to 6000rpm but I want to change the limiter to 6200-6400rpm. If it breaks I'll fix it lol
What sort of power are you putting out with that setup?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
a little over 280rwkw currently - nothing special. Forced induction is a little different - you won't need it to rev to make good power.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
And what sort of problems did you have getting it to work? This is the first project of this size, so if its going to be a financial blackhole, I'll stick with what I have.

What engine are you trying to attach it to?

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
What engine are you trying to attach it to?
Just the 3.6 alloytec (175kw). Not massive power I know, but the plan is to eventually build and boost it. I wanted to start with other areas of the car, as the missus is still on her p's, so have stay within the 130kw/t limit.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman S
Cheaper to put an ls in and turbo it than to do it to the existing alloytec.
Yeah thought about that.
Maybe a bit further down the track. I'm interested to see what can be done with the alloytec.
I know there isn't much in the way of kits, so I'm keen to have a go at some fab work, etc. The only work I've done on other cars has been bolt on.

And its just something different.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
I'm keen to have a go at some fab work, etc. The only work I've done on other cars has been bolt on.

You're not wrong, none of the boxes you mentioned bar the V6 4L60e will bolt on.

If you're actually serious about dropping that kind of coin, I think you should investigate the engine management side of the Alloytec based V6s before you commit, like find somebody who will specifically dyno tune the VZ V6 ECU. Most of the Alloytec ECUs are supposed to be a PITA to tune (this was specifically mentioned to me by Goat Performance at a trade stand, who incidentally apparently sell a drive in drive out Alloytec turbo package) as they're Bosch ones and are fairly different to the LS Delco ECUs. HP Tuners (which the majority of Commodore Tuners will use) kind of supports it but not really, or at least that was the case a while ago.

Going for an aftermarket ECU wouldn't help either, at least for an Alloytec with an automatic. The issue with going for an aftermarket ECU is that the gearbox relies on the ECU to tell it what to do, and just about every ECU out there doesn't have any provision to control GM automatic gearboxes.

Last edited: