Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6lt Engine in a VS

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
Would there be any changes a 6lt engine will fit in a VS commodore even doing the mods needed for the power?

Last edited by a moderator:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Plenty of LS type conversions in earlier model Commodores. Along with the engine and emissions you would need to upgrade the brakes etc to the same standard as the donor vehicle but it would be best to contact your local authority to get accurate info in what is required to meet certification standard for said conversion.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
As you are in SA, best to speak with an engineer before you start anything if you are putting this car on the road and want to get it legal.

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
As you are in SA, best to speak with an engineer before you start anything if you are putting this car on the road and want to get it legal.

Yeah, I was wondering whether the frame would be able to handle the 6Lt, that is why I asked.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Engineering is the only way to go as if you turn up at Regency Park without a certificate you're going to get one of the rudest shocks along with a massive bill.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Yeah, I was wondering whether the frame would be able to handle the 6Lt, that is why I asked.

If you're asking if the engine will bolt in, flat out no. K-frame is quite capable of dealing with a 6L (in fact modifying the crossmember will probably give you more headaches for engineering) with conversion mounts and most are done this way, just that the engine just doesn't drop in.

Paradyn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
Thanks for the reply I was only thinking if I had to recon my 5lt, I do have another VS SS which is a BT1 from NSW and it is rego with a 215i and they is more room under the bonnet than mean has and I have the HSV pack included.

Yeah, I was under no allusion it would just drop in I just wonder about whether the Y frame would take the power of a 6lt. I have another VS SS which I can play with which is a BT1 with a 215i in it. I will keep my VS I purchased brand new as it is.

Last edited: