Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9’s and stock Parcel shelf in a VT.

oblong

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 6
Just wondering how some of you have gone about fitting 6x9’s in the rear parcel shelf of a VT shape commo. I put a pair in for a friend the other day and he insisted on butchering the plastic / carpet section of the parcel shelf up by cutting a hole in it (against my advice) so you could 'see' the speaker's. Specifically at the back of the headrest along the lines that exist in the circular shape if you know what I‘m talking about, I guess it’s where the Calais speakers jut out. I sunk the speakers into the cutouts that exist in the metal bodywork.

Now he’s not too pleased with the dodgy look and wants to fix it up.

So what have people done to fix this kind of thing up?

Wondering how would a Calais (equipped with a 6 speaker sound sys as std) parcel shelf would go, or what kind of extender brackets fit and how to fit them.

:bop: stilly 18 year olds

Thanks

oblong

Last edited:

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
The Calais speakers aren't actually 6 x 9s, they are subs and they fit perfectly into metal framing under the parcel shelf. We have a VT Calais and wanted 6x9s so we took them out and had to file away an ever so small section of the metal framing so they would fit. (I have been advised that this isn't exactly legal altering the framework but I al literally talking about a few mm, you could use a spacer instead).

I can imagine how dodgy your friends car would look having just cut a big hole in the parcel shelf. He could have just drilled a series of holes in the parcel shelf where it would sit above the speakers, but thats outta the question now. The best thing he could do now is to purchase a pair of VT Calais parcel shelf speaker cover grills, unless he has really butchered the parcel shelf which means he would have to buy a whole new calais parcel shelf. They fit in easily, and are no more hassle than the stock shelf, but they look a shitload better and kinda keep the speakers more hidden from prying eyes.

oblong

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 6
thanks for the info

thanks for the info.

dusted

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT S S2
you can actually purchase speaker grills for this setup. I bought a set off ebay for $44. They color match exactly to a VT series2, but i guess u could easily paint them any color. It's very difficult to spot the speakers underneath them and they look like they came straight out of the factory.

oblong

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT 6
problem solved

Garry's Car Radio in Melbourne has speaker grills for $40 a set.

D

Darkwander

Julie said:
The Calais speakers aren't actually 6 x 9s, they are subs and they fit perfectly into metal framing under the parcel shelf. We have a VT Calais and wanted 6x9s so we took them out and had to file away an ever so small section of the metal framing so they would fit. (I have been advised that this isn't exactly legal altering the framework but I al literally talking about a few mm, you could use a spacer instead).

I can imagine how dodgy your friends car would look having just cut a big hole in the parcel shelf. He could have just drilled a series of holes in the parcel shelf where it would sit above the speakers, but thats outta the question now. The best thing he could do now is to purchase a pair of VT Calais parcel shelf speaker cover grills, unless he has really butchered the parcel shelf which means he would have to buy a whole new calais parcel shelf. They fit in easily, and are no more hassle than the stock shelf, but they look a shitload better and kinda keep the speakers more hidden from prying eyes.

Mine just slided into the Parcel shelf. You know out the frame that is tack welded to the frame and they slide in. Maybe different Speaker makers have a bigger or smaller frame on the speakers , mine are Kenwood.

Julie

moderator- for now anyway
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown VT Calais 355 + SC VY V6
Darkwander said:
Mine just slided into the Parcel shelf. You know out the frame that is tack welded to the frame and they slide in. Maybe different Speaker makers have a bigger or smaller frame on the speakers , mine are Kenwood.

Yeh different brands are different sizes, and you can be lucky and get a perfect fit. We've got pioneer and they were ever so slighlty too big. Doesn't really matter though, problem was easily solved.

daggett

Crazy Tiger
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY II Wagon
I don't know why you would have to cut away any of the subframe shelf underneath??? I brought 6x9's they fitted in just fine! Even the shelf had the grills already in and I have a VT II s pac.

P.S They are Alpline 6x9's