Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9 cutting holes

V

vn_s_pac

hey everyone, does anyone have step by step instructions on how to cut out 6x9 holes , replacing the old 6" speakers. on the parcel shelf that is. also whats a good pair of 6x9 to buy around $160. i was lookin at buyin these pioneer's, 330w, NOM 60w. they have a blue cone.

Cheers Aaron :D

B

bigjase

It is now illegal to cut holes in your parcel shelf in Victoria! :(

~shellee~

Reaction score
i was also lookin at the pioneer speakers you are talkin about,but decided on the kenwood..it depends on what kinda music u play the most...i got my speakers at a strathfield opening sale,50 bucks off....bargain !

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
what you can do is make a new parcel shelf to fit 6x9's. but before that

1 = take your stock speakers out and messure the width of the hole in the metal.

2 = compare the size of the hole to the magnets on the speakers you want to get (ask for a cataloge and the magnet diimenions will be in there) and if the hole is to small you have to find a set of speakers with small enough magnets.

3 = another option is to cut holes if you want to be illigeal or another illigeal (in sa anyway) is buy a set of 6x9's boxers and stick them on your parcel shelf.

say you do find a decent set of speakers where the magnets fit i would follow the instructions below to get the best performance out of your 6x9's

1 = get a piece of cardboard and trace the shape of your parcel shelf

2 = buy a piece of 10 - 12ml mdf that will be long enough to go across the parcel shelf

3 = cut it out using a jigsaw when it fits in nicely carpet it and screw it in.

it will look good and get the best performance out od your selected speakers

sorry if you already knew all that but i thought i would tell you anyway.

best of luck

scott

V

vn_s_pac

1 = get a piece of cardboard and trace the shape of your parcel shelf

2 = buy a piece of 10 - 12ml mdf that will be long enough to go across the parcel shelf

3 = cut it out using a jigsaw when it fits in nicely carpet it and screw it in.

I could do that but why would i do a whole parcel shelf jus for a pair of 6x9s? couldnt i jus make up some MDF spacers to fit the 6x9s in? thats what im thinking of doing . . but im not sure what 6x9 too get, im into rnb and all that house and bassy stuff . . any suggestions?

xstatic

Reaction score
Members Ride
vt gen 3 berlina
as i said the new parcel shelf will make your 6x9's go alot harder and the cheap bit of whatever kind of wood it is that it comes with stock will rattle and sound crap.

if you want a pair of 6x9's that gp hard for the price you pay buy a pair of fusion encounter 6x9's, can't remember the model number.

cheers

scott

V

vn_s_pac

i Just brought JBL 6x9, but i cant seem to put them in. i made spacers and put the spacers on top of the already cut 6" holes, it fits and all but i cant put the 6x9 covers on cause the window is in da way. Any suggestions !!! :(

DJ Majah

Electro doof doof styleé
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII cruiser
Yeah, dont use spacers. They make a good set of speakers sound ****.

What exactly is this law about cutting your parcel shelf? Its not illegal to cut the wood (its only wood) as long as you dont intefere with the child safety restraints (even if you dont use them). It is illegal to start fooling around with the body below this, as it is part of the cars structure, but Ive never heard of cutting the actual shelf being illegal.

V

vn_s_pac

yeh i want to cut that thin piece of wood as well as that tin under it to make the 6x9 fit. but the looks of the 6" cut u cant seem to cut anymore, because of that drop off towards the seat and this bar towards the window (in the boot im talking about).