Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9s in a vr

not_just_any_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
hi, tried a quick search on this subject but couldnt find what i wanted.

im thinking of buy focal 6x9's. the guy at autoFarm rekons il hav to cut into the steel bracing underneath my parcel tray. is this true. or has any body installed 6x9s with the larger spacers. is the sound still good.

yZoH

//There Ain't No Rest For The Wicked...
Reaction score
Website
www.lolwut.com
Members Ride
(0.o')
6x9's... Don't you think there a bit too small?? 6x9's are really easy to mount man, take ur shelf out take a better look, even make urself a new shelf.. Don't use those dodgy spacers u can buy on a stocko shelf...

Cheers
MaT

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
yeah the metal bracket in by default is the normal 6" mounting bracket, a little discussion involving the bracket and a mallet will allow them to stand down from their positions. [mind your windows! ]

from there just need to make the parcel shelf hole larger and bolt the 6x9's in

most people do it longs ways, | |

rather than "normal" - -

this is to allow for the shelf space.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
ok for **** sake.
done bend cut or remove and metal brackets. it willl be considered as changing the structural integrity of your car (READ: unroadworthy).
spacers look fine depending on how you want them. fiberglass and carpeted spacers look good and different but the plastic ones are crap because the plastic will have wierd resonces hence sound bad.
make your own from mdf. glue 2 sheets or 1/2 inch mdf together and then sand with a linisher. then paint then. its the only way to go.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
how is a spot welded metal bracket structural? *shrugs* i wouldnt know..

Brycestro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2
Yeah garfa, i've heard over and over and over again that removing the spot welded metal brackets with a hammer and chisel is NOT going to make your car unroadworthy, it's only when you cut into the actual shelf metal. Not saying your wrong or trying to point the finger, but i'm going to take the word of about 30 other people on this forum, many very respectable who have stated in many other posts that you CAN remove the spot welded brackets versus hearing you be the first to say you can't.