Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

6x9's in Parcel Shelf....

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
'14 VF SS-V M6 / '99 KN Laser
Hey guys,
I've read up on this...and i keep finding that it takes alot of effort to put 6x9's into the stock VR-VS shelf, and aparetly its illegal once you put them in the stock one?? I dono where i read it, i just did :p But my question is, i have seen so many VR-VS' with 6x9's....how do people do them?? They are hard to make yourself because they aren't flat, so what do people do??

Any comments and pics welcome :yeah:

Cheers

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
Yeah man, if you try and put them straight through the parcel shelf they wont fit because of the metal braces below the shelf. Some people cut bigger holes through the metal to get them to sit flush (Dont think its legal though). What i did is got a set of spacers from a car shop which goes between the speakers and the parcel shelf to allow them to sit in place. There are heaps of these some are cheap nasty looking ones while others look like they are meant to be there.

Hope that helps ya

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
Hey you need to read up more. It's easy to do - and legal when done right. Remove the old speakers, cut the mounting bracket of the old speakers away from the shelf - if you don't cut the shelf itself, then it's safe and legal.

After removing the old bracket, use some 8mm or whatever MDF (with hole cut out for the 6x9s to make a bracket which screws to the remnants of the old bracket, and you then attach the 6x9s to the MDF.

There are a coupla good how-to's with pics on the forum. So easy even I managed it! When mounted up this way, you refit the parcel shelf and it looks stock when finished.

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
thanks stacks guys :) so you can either make your own or buy a mounting bracket to make it look swish :yeah: Thanks :D

Frandy

Reaction score
Members Ride
can u just buy some spacers off the shelf?? Or do you have to make them out of MDF?? Any pics of how they look when they are installed??

Cheers :)

sircruisealotVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ LS1 Calais
not too sure if you can actually buy them "off the shelf", but anywhere that installs stuff (as in speakers and headunits and that) should be able to make some up for you.
but its really not hard, some mdf, a jigsaw and some carpet the same colour as your parcel shelf (or whatever you wanna wrap them in) is all you need.
id grab some pictures of mine...but i cant be stuffed at the moment, lol.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
i remember the tech guy at the local inspection place telling me some guy come in with a brand new commy, had cut the parcel tray shelf to fit speakers etc and it failed, brand new, that guy gotta be spewing hahahaha

Fletch_QLD

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU II SS
can u just buy some spacers off the shelf?? Or do you have to make them out of MDF?? Any pics of how they look when they are installed??

Cheers :)

If you make your own you can't see them under the shelf. If you buy spacers they sit on top of the shelf.

dmitch

DonkeySS
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS S2
here is a pic for ya... mine was like this when i got it so i dont know the price..
Parcel Shelf.jpg