Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

7 inch head unit with GPRS

TheGrimReaper

Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SV6
Hey there all.

Recently brought a double din head unit and was wondering where to connect the GPRS unit. The unit has the cord out the back of it and I was thinking of putting it somewhere inside the dash so I don't have cords and a random receiver sitting somewhere in site. The GPRS receiver is magnetic and am I right in saying there is a metal rod in the dash it can attach to. Been assured that the unit is strong enough to get signal through dashboard. Just wondering if anyone else has done this or where abouts they have put there receiver out of site.

Cheers for any info givin.

ilrated

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
I recently fitted a kenwood DNN9150BT double din with GPS into a 05 VZ SSZ.
I fitted the gps unit between the dash and the windscreen, near where the factory tweeter sits.
All you need to do is remove the air con vent to the left of the glovebox ( 3 screws from memory)
Then undo one screw for the plastic trim in between the dash and windscreen, which just pops off with some light lifting with a screw driver and a rag.
You then have a perfect place to fit the gps, plenty of room to run the cable back to the head unit and the trim just pops back on.
Also the plastic will not affect the signal but it is important not to place under any type of metal as that will affect the signal.
Hope this helps

vrsprspt

Reaction score
Members Ride
Series 1 VT Senator
2nd this solution, used this method in my VR as well as my current VT with no signal issue using Kenwood and Alpine head units