Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

70mm Thottle body, anyone got 1? any good?

stealth616

stealth616
Reaction score
Members Ride
5ltr VN Wagon
Seen some 70mm throttle bodies on Ebay, just wondering if anyone has 1 of these and did it make a noticable difference???

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
i dunno if this is true man ive heard that the 70mm walls on it are flimsy and can break 69mm is apprently the thinest to go.

been told that going to a bigger tb with a mostly stock engine will only give u better throttle resposne and mabye a slight power increase (not sure on tht one) some say its not worth the money, some say it is

hope this helps, correct me if i got any of this wrong too

good luck man

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
I have one about 69mm on mine some people say they made a gain but there was no messurable gain for me. I didn't expect anything but mine was for free so I stuck it on anyway

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
What foam said.

You can't really get more air through the stock manifold, so a bigger throttle body doesn't change much. It's like using a bigger funnel to pour auto trans fluid down the dipstick. You still can't pour any faster. :)

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
well when myne was n/a it made half a second diffrence on a gtec between 0 to 100. matt_vp took the photos to prove it to greenfoam. we did the testing in the middle of winter and the 70 was done first at about 730pm we did 3 runs then the 65 in the middle of the night 1130ish three runs all done on the same strech of road. but this was my car. this was my findings but it did nothing to greenfoams car sooo make what you will of it.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
WogBoyz, it's only bigger on the inside :) makes no difference to the piping etc, but my car was running 9.101 1/8th miles on stock headers and a single cat. The next meeting I changed to pacemakers, twin cats and a 70mm throttle and ran 9.032 (it was actually slower over the first part of the track). A decent gain really when your chasing hundreths of a second like I am, but I'd take the bet none of that was from the throttle body. To put that in Perspective I went from a 9.4 to 9.2? on pretty much just a good CAI (and I allready had the factory one which in itself was worth serious tenths over the pod I bought it with)

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
on a stock engine i think you'll gain some throttle response. probably not much in actual total power output. on a blown engine it's probably a different story as anything in the path from the blower to the combustion chamber will quickly become a restriction

eaton v8

my little sleeper
Reaction score
Members Ride
vz 6l auto 239cam 3.9diff
on a stock engine i think you'll gain some throttle response. probably not much in actual total power output. on a blown engine it's probably a different story as anything in the path from the blower to the combustion chamber will quickly become a restriction

funny you should say that i gained 1 psi for that reason today the hole the throttle body mounted up to was ofset by about 4mm to the throttle body and i dident realise so out came the drill and diegrinder bit all fixed now

WogBoyz

435rkw/590rwhp
Reaction score
Members Ride
08 VE SSV M6 Ute
WogBoyz, it's only bigger on the inside :) makes no difference to the piping etc, but my car was running 9.101 1/8th miles on stock headers and a single cat. The next meeting I changed to pacemakers, twin cats and a 70mm throttle and ran 9.032 (it was actually slower over the first part of the track). A decent gain really when your chasing hundreths of a second like I am, but I'd take the bet none of that was from the throttle body. To put that in Perspective I went from a 9.4 to 9.2? on pretty much just a good CAI (and I allready had the factory one which in itself was worth serious tenths over the pod I bought it with)

ahh kk man i though the acutrally part that connects to the pipe was bigger and aswell the metal peice the in the tb

cheers for the info