Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Okay they're not a V8 and you don't get latest V8 performance but I couldn't help observing that my last year 2000 Holden Calais Gen3 5.7L V8 made 225kw's and this one makes 235 kw's and uses a truck load less fuel and has a vast array of technology. Further, it was $10,000 less than I paid 18 years ago for the last one ! Had quite a few vehicles since then, FPV's x 3, Chrysler SRT8 e.t.c.

Decent torque deficit between a Gen 3 and the ZB V6.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Yes there is a bit but on the other hand my former Calais had a 4 speed auto and this one has the right gear for every occasion !
One little known fact is that a byproduct of the direct injection process is these engines make more torque than you'd expect at very low revs and it seems perfectly happy around town most of the time in the 1200-1500 rev range.
Nine speed auto is a real peach, as smooth as they ever get and almost as good as the extremely well liked ZF8 speed auto in my opinion.
Hopefully there's a BIG difference in the amount of oil this engine uses, the old Gen 3 was a real shocker !

Other technology I find super cool is the matrix headlights that you can leave on high beam and it blacks out certain LED's to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Seat massage is also great and seat cooling is also a very useful feature at this time of year.

I was fortunate to get the first of the MY19's to arrive in N.Z. although I am still awaiting a 2019 GPS map from Holden who tell me it should be here in time for my one month first inspection. Main difference I can see between MY18 and MY19 is much more colourful display of the various functions displayed on the centre screen.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Yes there is a bit but on the other hand my former Calais had a 4 speed auto and this one has the right gear for every occasion !
One little known fact is that a byproduct of the direct injection process is these engines make more torque than you'd expect at very low revs and it seems perfectly happy around town most of the time in the 1200-1500 rev range.
Nine speed auto is a real peach, as smooth as they ever get and almost as good as the extremely well liked ZF8 speed auto in my opinion.
Hopefully there's a BIG difference in the amount of oil this engine uses, the old Gen 3 was a real shocker !

Other technology I find super cool is the matrix headlights that you can leave on high beam and it blacks out certain LED's to avoid dazzling oncoming traffic. Seat massage is also great and seat cooling is also a very useful feature at this time of year.

I was fortunate to get the first of the MY19's to arrive in N.Z. although I am still awaiting a 2019 GPS map from Holden who tell me it should be here in time for my one month first inspection. Main difference I can see between MY18 and MY19 is much more colourful display of the various functions displayed on the centre screen.
Imagine all that gm pox infused technology in 3/4 years time

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Time will tell. Certainly the Gen3 engine with its piston slap was poxy and drank oil like a fish and Australian build standards were very low compared to the current German built one.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Better than the blue dress Ford jiggly hips, but I prefer the red dress Toyota sales chicky-babe.

Edit …. just realised it was about a car. Doh.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Better than the blue dress Ford jiggly hips, but I prefer the red dress Toyota sales chicky-babe.

Edit …. just realised it was about a car. Doh.
Agree - but I am happy with looking at either model. They were chosen to look familiar, rather than too outstanding. However, the cars are another matter and are quite incidental to the branding exercise. ZB lacks any association with likeable females.