Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Yes I know the road to Waiuku well been travelling out that way since I was a kid. How did the zb handle those hills and curves bout midway from the turn off from the pukekohe Rd to waiuku.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Yes I know the road to Waiuku well been travelling out that way since I was a kid. How did the zb handle those hills and curves bout midway from the turn off from the pukekohe Rd to waiuku.
New holden add on tele. No mention of Commodore or astra only arcadia trax equalpox and trailblazer

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V

Very well mate. My sense is this new lightweight chassis that the Opeldore is built upon is very strong and a much sweeter handling bit of kit that the Kia Stinger, although in isolation the Stinger handles quite well in its own right. Took the Stinger out from Titirangi where I live to see my friend at Cornwallis on the extremely bumpy, tight and twisty Huia road which is a very good test and the chassis and suspension coped okay but not as well as the Commodore.

We bought a small farm out Waiuku way just over a year ago which we lease out to a local farmer so we travel there every second weekend or so to keep an eye on the place. Just starting to get to grips with which are the best cafe's in Waiuku :) Its such a nice little sweet country town...feels like a million miles away from the rat race of Auckland city but its only 69 km's from West Auckland.

Calais V replacement update. Visited the dealer yesterday because this thing has dragged on for too long now. (V6 engine seized over a month ago !) They have my brand new replacement car there...just waiting on the paperwork from Holden to finalise this. I think I am going to be more than a little sad to see the LT Commodore go as I've had that loan car for over a month now and have kind of bonded with it in terms of its lightweight design and it certainly does the core basics of power, handling and braking very well. That little 2.0 engine is such a peach, gives its power and torque so easily and spins so smoothly all the way to the redline without any hint of complaint. Really hoping the replacement car is problem free.

Last edited:

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
New holden ad on tele. No mention of Commodore or Astra only Arcadia Trax, Equalpox and Trashblazer

I feel it's only a matter of time until the name Holden disappears altogether and after that so will GM in this country as they no longer have the will to produce RHD vehicles.

They continually demonstrate that they have no interest in good customer support ( as clearly shown to Badgerdog) and as they gave the bird to Australia, Australians have given GM the bird right back and voted with their feet. The end result is inevitable.

Holden will continue to be remembered for what they achieved between 48-215 (FX) and VF but anything after that is purely no longer relevant.

Last edited:

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I'm okay with getting a brand new replacement car...its just how long its taking and the fact that I had to lean on them so hard that's not very cool.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I feel it's only a matter of time until the name Holden disappears altogether and after that so will GM in this country as they no longer have the will to produce RHD vehicles.

They continually demonstrate that they have no interest in good customer support ( as clearly shown to Badgerdog) and as they gave the bird to Australia, Australians have given GM the bird right back and voted with their feet. The end result is inevitable.

Holden will continue to be remembered for what they achieved between 48-215 (FX) and VF but anything after that is purely no longer relevant.
Only a couple of years back, we were predicting that the Holden brand would not survive beyond the ZB's lifespan, around 2023/24 or so. Two years later, with the brand falling further and further behind its competitors and losing sales each month compared to previous years, and we're now expecting it to die before this year is out.
As a person born during the production of the 48/215, who grew up surrounded by Holdens, who has owned and loved them since 1970 and avidly bought motor magazines to get the scoop on every new model, the demise of this brand is sad. I can clearly remember the excitement when the HK Monaro was released. Holden had grown into a company building more than just family transport and farmers' friends. As the ads said at the time, they were moving ahead. Excitement, power, dream cars for kids to lust over.
And now it's all over and apart from us auto junkies, who cares anymore? Bloody sad.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Calaber, like me, you are a dinosaur, along with many members of this (soon to be obsolete) forum.
'Holden' (as in the badge) are just following the rest of the industry with their current offerings.
We have a huge new car choice ………. soot-blowing huge SUVs and pickups, soot-blowing small SUVs, small capacity turbo'd small hatches, and larger 'traditional-size-Holdens' expen$ive Euro $edans that depreciate quickly, financially and in reliability.
There are no more excitement, power, dream cars as far as I am concerned, (excluding a Bentley Continental).

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
and larger 'traditional-size-Holdens' expen$ive Euro $edans that depreciate quickly, financially and in reliability.
Badgerdog ......… Nah.
The RS5, that would be that Monaro looking, VW thingy. Forgive me, I have Holden coloured glasses.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Badgerdog ......… Nah.
The RS5, that would be that Monaro looking, VW thingy. Forgive me, I have Holden coloured glasses.
No forgiveness required...well not on this forum :)
I remember the Monaro's of the 1970's very well. My next door neighbour had one and I remember lusting after it as a young teenager. They were the coolest thing and in some ways still are.