Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Mostly cop cars around here in the Manawatu, have seen a couple of privately owned ones but are definitely in the minority
Its a shame they don't make ZB's with a nice impulse blue like you've got. I think their colour palate is part of the problem.
If I ever get my replacement Calais V, (it is taking so long I am beginning to wonder) its in the least ugly color of Rioja red, (which is really metallic burgundy).

The fire engine red colour is not available for Calais models because in Holden's "infinite wisdom" they think this is an inappropriate colour for a Calais.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I will be around the West Coast tomorrow, will look out for the ZBs! Cheers.
You're right Badgerdog. Went to Piha today, via Titirangi and there was a ZB parked at the beach! So that is now 4 ZBs in a week! Seems much higher penetration than Australia. I agree with you, there is not much competition in this size class for affordable cars that seem to go reasonably well.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
The rioja red is the best colour in the range ….but only available on Calais.

The colour range on zb is quite uninspiring except rioja red.

Holden haven't really put any effort into this car (back room boys ..its made by PSA .. why bother).

The 2 litre job is an affordable performance car … what else has 191kw and 350nm at its price point?

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
You're right Badgerdog. Went to Piha today, via Titirangi and there was a ZB parked at the beach! So that is now 4 ZBs in a week! Seems much higher penetration than Australia. I agree with you, there is not much competition in this size class for affordable cars that seem to go reasonably well.
Saw a ZB police car this afternoon and a private one yesterday...there's certainly a few around. I could do with a nice walk along Piha beach tomorrow. The long wait for the replacement car is really starting to do my head in now !
The rioja red is the best colour in the range ….but only available on Calais.
The colour range on zb is quite uninspiring except rioja red.
Holden haven't really put any effort into this car (back room boys ..its made by PSA .. why bother).
The 2 litre job is an affordable performance car … what else has 191kw and 350nm at its price point?
Its darker than I would like. I prefer the fire engine red of my loan car (the LT) but in terms of Calais colours the Rioja red is quite nice but Holden have done some stunning metallic blue's in the past but we are now stuck with what Opel do which is a bit of a bummer.
I don't think there's anything else in terms of a medium sized car (hot hatches excepted) that's available at this price point that makes 191 kw and 350nm and is reasonably light and well capable with handling and I think that's the point a lot of people aren't realising. They simply think a faux 2.0 liter Commordoe...why would you bother ?...so they don't bother test driving it and don't know what they're missing. Subaru WRX makes similar solid numbers but is considerably more expensive and much smaller. A$24,000 for a demo LT with the balance of a five year warranty in my opinion is a screaming bargain for anyone who has an open mind and isn't put off by it not being Australian made.

Anyway...I've just emailed the dealer and told them how extremely annoyed I am that this fiasco still hasn't been sorted out. This coming Friday it will be 6 weeks since the engine seized. They've been told in no uncertain terms that I think this needs to be resolved without any further delay.

Last edited:

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
They're definitely out there. I see 1 or 2 ZB's every day on my 80km round trip to and from work. A few with company logos on the doors and some even with personalised number plates. There's a red RSV parked across the road from work quite often too.
During the school holidays I noticed a number of white LTs in tourist spots with interstate rego plates. I assumed they were rental cars.
I've only ever seen 1 VXR and 1 Calais V. The rest mainly RS and LT.
I also see a number of stingers each week.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
They simply think a faux 2.0 liter Commordoe...why would you bother ?...so they don't bother test driving it and don't know what they're missing.

Did someone say marketing ?

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Saw a ZB police car this afternoon and a private one yesterday...there's certainly a few around. I could do with a nice walk along Piha beach tomorrow. The long wait for the replacement car is really starting to do my head in now !

Its darker than I would like. I prefer the fire engine red of my loan car (the LT) but in terms of Calais colours the Rioja red is quite nice but Holden have done some stunning metallic blue's in the past but we are now stuck with what Opel do which is a bit of a bummer.
I don't think there's anything else in terms of a medium sized car (hot hatches excepted) that's available at this price point that makes 191 kw and 350nm and is reasonably light and well capable with handling and I think that's the point a lot of people aren't realising. They simply think a faux 2.0 liter Commordoe...why would you bother ?...so they don't bother test driving it and don't know what they're missing. Subaru WRX makes similar solid numbers but is considerably more expensive and much smaller. A$24,000 for a demo LT with the balance of a five year warranty in my opinion is a screaming bargain for anyone who has an open mind and isn't put off by it not being Australian made.

Anyway...I've just emailed the dealer and told them how extremely annoyed I am that this fiasco still hasn't been sorted out. This coming Friday it will be 6 weeks since the engine seized. They've been told in no uncertain terms that I think this needs to be resolved without any further delay.
yep the contract is between you and the dealer, not Holden. They are required to fix the problem of the major failure.

Angus5

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP
Com'on now boys, Great Wall of China motors make some great products.... :)

I'm sorry guys, I can't read this thread anymore.
I've got tears in my eyes from laughing to hard.
Never driven one but from the first hand accounts that I have heard - it aint good.

Also-
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-15/chinese-cars-recalled-over-asbestos-concerns/4199630
https://www.carsguide.com.au/car-news/great-wall-recalls-9000-cars-in-australia-23492
https://www.carsales.com.au/editorial/details/great-wall-steeds-safety-slammed-106950/