Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Well done badger dog. I am astounded you got a 5 year warranty. Is that a 3 year Holden plus 2 year dealer or a straight 5 year Holden warranty?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Took delivery of a brand new 2019 Calais V in rioja red today to replace my previous one.
In the end I stood my ground for a 5 year warranty and they eventually gave in granted that to me.
This one even has two keys and its 2019 GPS map installed, (unlike the last one which came with only one key and no working GPS system).
Fingers and toes crossed I get a better run out of this one.
No better car at this price point in the market in my opinion.

I hope it goes well for you.

It is sad that here in NZ we still only get offered the old 3year/100,000km warranty by Holden when most others are doing at least 5 years.

rucxy

Electrified Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SSV L98

It is sad that here in NZ we still only get offered the old 3year/100,000km warranty by Holden when most others are doing at least 5 years.

We are behind the times and things always take time to filter down to us and cost way more than necessary.
As a nation we really are apathetic and are prepared to accept 2nd best without too much of a fight.
Which really is a sad state of affairs

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Well done badger dog. I am astounded you got a 5 year warranty. Is that a 3 year Holden plus 2 year dealer or a straight 5 year Holden warranty?
Thank you, I appreciate your encouragement. Full 5 year 100,000 km Holden warranty, but I can assure you it didn't come without some very tough negotiating. They forgot to do their confidentiality agreement lol.
Thank you. I couldn't agree more. They're shooting themselves in the foot in my opinion. With so many other marques doing 5 years now you would think Holden N.Z. would wake up and smell the coffee. Go figure ?

Last edited:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
And yet my VS & VE had / have headlight controls on the dash o_O
I had the wrong year. It was 77, not 74. was referring to headlight on/off, dimmer, wiper/washer etc. Holden used to have a floor mounted dipswitch and all wiper and light controls on the dash. The HX and UC finally placed them on a column mounted multi switch like the Euros and Japs had done for years.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Gordon Roberts (I think) was the engineer responsible for handling/suspension etc in those days. Apparently insisted on engineering in massive understeer thinking it was a safety feature because it made drivers slow down

George Roberts. American who made Holdens handle like Yank Tanks. Don't know how Peter Hanenberger got around his thinking. Maybe he retired.

I liked the part in the video that Peter said that the 3300 (I think) Torana he was driving had more than enough power for anyone and the V8 is unnecessary. I got the feeling he was saying Holden was irresponsible offering this option. So more than enough is not enough for you?

Holden must have given him a good one.
Kingswood 4 speed 186S, 145bhp, went like proverbial off a shovel.
Monaro Trimatic 253, 185bhp, deceptively leisurely quick.
Torana 4 speed 202. Row, row your boat gently up Ship Creek against the tide.

I now look at Toranas at car shows, I think they look great ………….. parked there.

kos

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Lt
Badger dog you will have to give us further thoughts /comments on how the V6 model zb compared to the 4 cylinder zb you had.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Badger dog you will have to give us further thoughts /comments on how the V6 model zb compared to the 4 cylinder zb you had.
Especially that you now have one with an engine that should rotate freely for more than 800 km. This would be a valuable comparison, since I suspect you did more than 800 km in your loan 4 cylinder, given the length of time it took the dealer to provide their remedy for a major failure.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
More than happy to post some thoughts once I've done a few km's in the Calais V. I've only just brought it home at this stage and only done 15 km's in it and yes I did about 1500 km's in the LT.

Just posting this as I wrap up my time with the LT.
Had the LT for just on 6 weeks and to be honest I'm a little sad to see it go. Such a smooth giving motor with plenty of low, mid range and top end power and a really wide spread of torque. Engine has no apparent vices and spins up freely to the redline with no noticeable engine vibration at all. Lovely light and nimble car with sweet neutral handling and pretty good brakes for standard Holden fare...really enjoyed my time in a nice light 1500kg car coming out of my 2100 kg Chrysler SRT8 which I owned before coming over to Holden again. That said there 2.0 liter cars they go best with one person in them and as soon as you start adding passengers the extra weight makes itself obvious and dulls the experience somewhat.
Honestly if you're not into all the latest technology and equipment, (I am a bit) then the LT or RS do the core business of driving in terms of power, handling and braking very well indeed in my opinion so save yourself a ton of coin and get one of the cheaper model's. You won't be disappointed.

On the other hand if you're into having a decent stereo, heads-up display, LED matrix lights, heated cooled and massaging seats, sunroof, adaptive cruise control, 4 wheel drive, torque vectoring and so on then the decision is much harder because while all this kit is really nice to have, arguably it adds little to the core driving experience but adds a fair bit of weight and a lot of cost.

Initial thoughts are you can definitely immediately notice the extra 200 kg's of weight jumping out of the ~ 1500 kg LT into the V6 ~ 1700 kg V6 Calais.

Happy to post some more thoughts once I've got better acquainted with the Calais V again.