Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
And therein lies ZB's problem. Even without the extra HP, the stronger driveline, gearbox, diff, better brakes etc, it still costs more than the outgoing previous two Holden models' sports SS sedans. And it's still just a 4cyl/V6 with a front end that screams front-wheel-drive.
Its a given we all miss the affordable Australian built high horsepower cars. Best to ignore the recommended retail price and the real prices people are paying after a good long haggle are pretty good. Certainly I know there is nothing close to a Calais V on the Kiwi market brand new for $53,000 in terms of specification and handling. 235kw (315 h.p.) is not going to set the world on fire but I'm coming out of a Chrysler SRT8 470 horsepower and before that a tuned 500 horsepower supercharged FPV GT-P, (these are $90,000+ retail asking cars in N.Z.) and I feel the ZB package with its lighter weight, better handling, torque vectoring and much higher level's of technology, works really well for me at $53,000. Thing is with that really trick new 9 speed auto you're always in the right gear and I feel the driveline is very efficient in terms of low % of driveline losses.
Take one for a test drive mate, you might be pleasantly surprised. If V8 performance is all that matters, don't waste you time, but if very high level's of technology and handling matter too, then you might find you're quite impressed.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
I get it. Just stop the public dissing your product, replace with positive comments and it will sell.
Or alternatively import product that punters actually respect and want to buy.
"We will tell you how to think or we will correct you" - 1984 or Brave New World anyone? Dunno about others here, but I thought we used to have a culture where we expressed ourselves without fear or favour
Kristian seems to make some interesting statements.

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Its a given we all miss the affordable Australian built high horsepower cars. Best to ignore the recommended retail price and the real prices people are paying after a good long haggle are pretty good. Certainly I know there is nothing close to a Calais V on the Kiwi market brand new for $53,000 in terms of specification and handling. 235kw (315 h.p.) is not going to set the world on fire but I'm coming out of a Chrysler SRT8 470 horsepower and before that a tuned 500 horsepower supercharged FPV GT-P, (these are $90,000+ retail asking cars in N.Z.) and I feel the ZB package with its lighter weight, better handling, torque vectoring and much higher level's of technology, works really well for me at $53,000. Thing is with that really trick new 9 speed auto you're always in the right gear and I feel the driveline is very efficient in terms of low % of driveline losses.
Take one for a test drive mate, you might be pleasantly surprised. If V8 performance is all that matters, don't waste you time, but if very high level's of technology and handling matter too, then you might find you're quite impressed.

You're clearly very impressed with ZB and that's great. Me, I'd expect to be wowed in every area for a $50k+ spend, starting with styling, engine performance, with tech and handling third or fourth (how often can you actually find grip limits of a car on public roads anyway)... safety is somewhere further down the list.

I actually don't even know what i'd spend $50k on these days, the new car market has kinda lost me... not that I'm a Luddite but i don't want a 4WD, hatch or SUV. Maybe ZB isn't looking so bad after all :)

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
I get it. Just stop the public dissing your product, replace with positive comments and it will sell.
"We will tell you how to think or we will correct you" - 1984 or Brave New World anyone? Dunno about others here, but I thought we used to have a culture where we expressed ourselves without fear or favour
I've been a Holden fan since the mid 60's and owned numerous models from FB onwards. I've never seen a time in Holdens history where their model lineup has been less inspiring or competitive. Their best vehicle struggles to sell because we've decided we want either small hatchbacks or SUV's. Their small hatchback is a decent car, but can't compete with Toyota, Mazda, Kia or Hyundai because they are better. Their SUV's can't match Toyota, Ford or Mitsubishi in sales for various reasons. The Arcadia might reverse this trend, it's too early to say. There is nothing in their current range that appeals to me and clearly, I'm not alone. They can try every sales tactic they can think of, but you can't polish a turd.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
You're clearly very impressed with ZB and that's great. Me, I'd expect to be wowed in every area for a $50k+ spend, starting with styling, engine performance, with tech and handling third or fourth (how often can you actually find grip limits of a car on public roads anyway)... safety is somewhere further down the list.

I actually don't even know what i'd spend $50k on these days, the new car market has kinda lost me... not that I'm a Luddite but i don't want a 4WD, hatch or SUV. Maybe ZB isn't looking so bad after all :)
Good mate of mine reckons I'll be bored with it within 6 months, not enough horsepower for you mate, not by a long shot was his comment lol
There's a few of the last SS V8 Redline's around that I'm surprised people haven't hooked into. Good package if it must be a V8.

One thing that's bloody annoying about the ZB is at first glance it appears that the stupid electronic nannies have to be turned off not just as a one-off but at the start of every trip !...(maybe I need to get the manual out again and have a look) but at this stage I tried turning off forward collision alert (which seems to go off if a sparrow farts within a 5 mile radius) lane keep assist and engine start stop and then they'll all come back on automatically next time you start the car.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SS-V Redline MY15 Series 1
Oooh, that's not good. I don't find my VF disturbing in any way, but I know others do.

Trying to get a 24-hour VXR test drive so that I can experience a full commute in this thing. I didn't know the engine did the stop-start thing - I knew the engine itself could do it, but didn't know the Commodore had enabled that feature. Interesting.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
From now on I am the Holden stooge.
I can’t get over their arrogance. You WILL buy what we give you. They can get stuffed