Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
so getting a tax concessions on a vehicle isn't a free ride on tax payers ?

This is where I'm going to make an even broader statement and say if you run a business you should pay for ALL IT'S EXPENSES, there should be no such thing as a refund from the ATO for running a business. It's rapidly becoming a User Pay system all over the country so why aren't businesses being treated the same. If you don't want the expenses then don't run one I've always said.

Now I've just got to duck all the bullets coming my direction.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6

This is where I'm going to make an even broader statement and say if you run a business you should pay for ALL IT'S EXPENSES, there should be no such thing as a refund from the ATO for running a business. It's rapidly becoming a User Pay system all over the country so why aren't businesses being treated the same. If you don't want the expenses then don't run one I've always said.

"Tax concessions on a vehicle" are related to the costs of running such vehicle in generating the income of the business. No different to any other business costs such as stock, rent, wages, power etc etc.

I'm not sure that you understand how it actually works.

Businesses do pay ALL OF THEIR EXPENSES. They don't get a refund from the ATO for the expenses that they have incurred.

A quick and dirty P&L below to try & explain:

Income $100

Expenses $ 50

Net Profit $ 50

Tax assessed on Net Profit of $50 at the applicable tax rate. If it is the company tax rate of 30%, tax = $15. As such, Net Profit After Tax = $35. So the business has paid all of its expenses and tax.

No different to you claiming deductions on your tax return and paying tax on the net position. If you are PAYG, which I expect you are given your apparent hatred for businesses (which is amusing coz without businesses you wouldn't have a job or products to purchase), YOU will likely get a refund from the ATO with the right value of deductions. Oh the irony.

The only lurk with vehicles and tax that I have an issue with is the discounted FBT regime for cars that have no real business use whatsoever.

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition

Can you tell me more about this system where i dont have to pay for my business expenses? Your accountant must know some pretty cool tricks.

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Unfortunately, a good comprehension of taxation laws still seems to elude some of us.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I totally understand how it actually works, whether I feel its a true and correct system ? well that's another thing. I know we all have to pay tax as that's how the government gets its cash to waste frivolously, but I've always felt a set figure across the board of pay as its spent and no deductions would be far more fair and equitable system with no need for bean counters at the end of June each year.

It's just my take on this crap system as we have it atm and I'm not trying to start up a political thread here, but I'm sure they are working on a much more streamlined system to replace this antiquated one we must deal with everyday.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
I totally understand how it actually works, whether I feel its a true and correct system ? well that's another thing. I know we all have to pay tax as that's how the government gets its cash to waste frivolously, but I've always felt a set figure across the board of pay as its spent and no deductions would be far more fair and equitable system with no need for bean counters at the end of June each year.

It's just my take on this crap system as we have it atm and I'm not trying to start up a political thread here, but I'm sure they are working on a much more streamlined system to replace this antiquated one we must deal with everyday.
Just to get back to Holden, why do ya reckon holden don’t advertise the zb? Do they want it to fail? And i just saw for the 1st time an ad for an Arcadia? The ad didn’t mention anything at all about the car. Just something about arriving. Seems weird

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
They ran an Acadia campaign for a number of weeks, but that's another destined to fail. Mark my words GM won't be here in this country for much longer. I think most people have had enough of their failed products of the past and thus no confidence in their future stuff.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ
Just to get back to Holden, why do ya reckon holden don’t advertise the zb? Do they want it to fail? And i just saw for the 1st time an ad for an Arcadia? The ad didn’t mention anything at all about the car. Just something about arriving. Seems weird

Is it because the advert gurus hired to do the TV and paper publicity don't have a clue ?
Or is it because people like Harry Scrubby object to any car advert which shows the vehicle going 'fast', or being portrayed as being 'powafull'.
VW Amorok and Ford Raptor ads were banned. An old Commodore ad was banned because the car was travelling at a fast 60kmh on an open road with a kid in the back. Don't forget the 'bloody caravanners' Colorado ad. Every current ad seems to spruik how the car will stop automatically if a inattentive pedestrian steps in front of it, or how it can park itself.
No wonder we get dumbed down, or no adverts. Maybe it is just not worth the time and expense.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67

That is because the system is designed to help the rich get richer and to keep the rest of the population poor.

My theory, if you can't beat em, join em ;)

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
They ran an Acadia campaign for a number of weeks, but that's another destined to fail. Mark my words GM won't be here in this country for much longer. I think most people have had enough of their failed products of the past and thus no confidence in their future stuff.

This is the current thought, but if they smarten up a bit, they won't.....Just think of the Japanese cars that came here in the 70's and 80's.....The general publics views of them as I won't touch them with a barge pole.....Now, the general public love them....It also applies with Korean cars.....ie Kia and Hyundai (2nd thoughs, they mightn't be from Korea)....Their first appearance they were a dismal fail....Now, look where they are

If GM take a leaf out of these companies books, they will become a major player again