Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
The first ZB ad at the start of last year was all arty and vague with a stupid catch phrase. Only seeing a ZB right at the end of it.
I don't know why they couldn't be like nearly all other car makers and just show people driving the car somewhere to a catchy tune........and show the interior and gadgets etc. Instead they tried to be fancy and arty.

Then we got the ad's on the wagon being a car for 'adventurers' who go off road and on adventures on the weekend......... pretty sure those kinds of people are buying Hilux, Ranger and Colorado.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
This is the current thought, but if they smarten up a bit, they won't.....Just think of the Japanese cars that came here in the 70's and 80's.....The general publics views of them as I won't touch them with a barge pole.....Now, the general public love them....It also applies with Korean cars.....ie Kia and Hyundai (2nd thoughs, they mightn't be from Korea)....Their first appearance they were a dismal fail....Now, look where they are

If GM take a leaf out of these companies books, they will become a major player again

Yep, you are correct here, however these brands improved with each generation/model. The ZB has a finite life span and I don't see Holden/GM doing much to upgrade it during it's remaining life cycle.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
That is because the system is designed to help the rich get richer and to keep the rest of the population poor.

Absolutely Spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!.......................I was afraid to say it in your exact words but you have saved me the grief and gone and done it.

Again a huge big thank you for getting my point across.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
It also applies with Korean cars.....ie Kia and Hyundai (2nd thoughs, they mightn't be from Korea)....Their first appearance they were a dismal fail....Now, look where they are

If GM take a leaf out of these companies books, they will become a major player again

They tried, remember Daewoo another up and coming Korean company.............then GM got involved and we all know how that's turned out.

The common denominator here is .......wait for it......GM, They simply don't have a clue and never seem to learn from their mistakes and we all know what to call people who keep on making the same mistakes over and over again don't we ?

Sabbath'

Redblock Jesus
Reaction score
Members Ride
80 Series// VFII Black Edition
That is because the system is designed to help the rich get richer and to keep the rest of the population poor.
That statement would be more true if low income earners' lifestyle wasnt subsidized my middle and high income earners. I mean, how evil is the system when you can NOT work, yet still get as much money as somebody working a full week of work?

Absolutely Spot on !!!!!!!!!!!!.......................I was afraid to say it in your exact words but you have saved me the grief and gone and done it.

Again a huge big thank you for getting my point across.

So all along, your point was delusion and petty jealousy?

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Taxation is and has been a subject elsewhere in the Pub in the past and was always a contentious issue.
Back to Holden. I believe the recent action by GM in closing US and Canadian plants says a lot. It is obvious that China is seen as the next big market for GM and this, together with the domestic market, will be the areas they concentrate their efforts over the years to come. They have ditched Europe, a far larger market than ours and the performance of Holden is now so bad, in a small market, that I can see them abandoning this country altogether if their fortunes don't improve.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Taxation is and has been a subject elsewhere in the Pub in the past and was always a contentious issue.
Back to Holden. I believe the recent action by GM in closing US and Canadian plants says a lot. It is obvious that China is seen as the next big market for GM and this, together with the domestic market, will be the areas they concentrate their efforts over the years to come. They have ditched Europe, a far larger market than ours and the performance of Holden is now so bad, in a small market, that I can see them abandoning this country altogether if their fortunes don't improve.
Not sure how their fortunes will improve by their current efforts. Given that the product they have are all (strongly) potential orphans and they do not want to understand who their market is.
Their current marketing is clearly aimed at people who are not much interested in details of cars.
As said before, they need a likeable and relatable female to be the face of Holden, same as Toyota and Ford have done.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
That statement would be more true if low income earners' lifestyle wasnt subsidized my middle and high income earners. I mean, how evil is the system when you can NOT work, yet still get as much money as somebody working a full week of work?

Yep, the system certainly isn't perfect. I don't mind people getting a helping hand but it does bother me when some Remuera solo mother with 5 kids is getting paid by the government to live in a million dollar home..... TBH, I don't know much about the welfare system in Australia but here in NZ it certainly favours certain flavours. The part of the system that really bothers me isn't the people who can't work (for genuine reasons) but more the people who can't be bothered to work!

What I do know however is working for a wage will never get you ahead, you are much better off running your own business(s) where you can structure your tax affairs for maximum benefit to yourself.

I watched my old man do everything the government told him to do, he had a good job, paid a good wage, paid his mortgage and saved for retirement and even had private health insurance. Then he got laid off and in his hour of need where was the government? No where. I'm not making that mistake.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yep, the system certainly isn't perfect. I don't mind people getting a helping hand but it does bother me when some Remuera solo mother with 5 kids is getting paid by the government to live in a million dollar home..... TBH, I don't know much about the welfare system in Australia but here in NZ it certainly favours certain flavours. The part of the system that really bothers me isn't the people who can't work (for genuine reasons) but more the people who can't be bothered to work.

In Tas a couple with 5 kids would be on a over $1000 a week to do absolutely nothing but provide a home to live in and meals on the table. Rent would be $250 a week in a Housing Tas property provided by the Gov. Scripts for $6.50 instead of $36.50 for someone who works, cheaper rego, power, and 1/2 price bus fares. In Tas we have the lowest average wage. We have more people on the minimum wage $760 a week for full-time workers, than any other state per capita. Yet people on the dole and pensions are often better off. Yet we get those on welfare cry poor and say things like "how can the Gov expect us to live on what they give us"? Yet full-time employees don't get a partial dole simply because they work 38hrs per week and do not qualify based on hours not amount of wages.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
You'd love NZ then, welfare isn't that nice unless you're a solo mother and know how to work the system. The system also benefits low income earners with lots of kids...