Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

8 days without any postings....and weeks without seeing a ZB on the road

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Just like Holden never admitted that VL's with the RB30 engine had a cracking cylinder head issue and that each customers was the first one they had seen.

tuckerbag

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy2ss dual cab rodeo fjr1300
Just like Holden never admitted that VL's with the RB30 engine had a cracking cylinder head issue and that each customers was the first one they had seen.
I remember seeing a vl with over 700,000 ks on it. I doubt a zb will do that

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224

Just like Nissan, which had the exact same problem with the RB30 in the Skyline.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Just like Nissan, which had the exact same problem with the RB30 in the Skyline

Not sure about that one as it was the VL that had the issues due to the top of the radiator being lower than the top coolant level in the head, thus air locks happened in the VL while the Skyline had the radiator up higher which eliminated the issue from happening in the first instance.

Unfortunately you couldn't treat a VL RB30 the same way as the earlier Holden Cast Iron 6 in the VK and priors and most weren't aware of the coolant bleed point near the thermostat housing area, even then you needed an extension in the radiator filler neck to raise the coolant level up above the head when filling / bleeding.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Not sure about that one as it was the VL that had the issues due to the top of the radiator being lower than the top coolant level in the head, thus air locks happened in the VL while the Skyline had the radiator up higher which eliminated the issue from happening in the first instance.

The Skyline radiator was higher than the VL by about 6mm, but was still lower than the head, still suffered the same problems.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
I am wondering if I should simply ask for a new car replacement ?
Thoughts ?

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes you could, but I can assure you that won't happen otherwise GMH would've given you that as the preferred option for them.

It's strange how Australian consumers are just given the raw prawn when making large purchases compared to US residents. It's about time we introduced the US' Lemon Laws.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
Talked to a couple of engineer mates this morning. Both reckon there's no major drama's fitting a new engine and that's a satisfactory outcome but also both reckoned in the circumstances with it only being 3 weeks old and 850 km's it can't hurt to ask for a new car and see what happens.
Most companies will take the most cost efficient route so I expect they will simply replace the engine.

Last edited:

Pablito

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline, VE SS
It comes down to what your legal rights are. They're not going to give you a new car unless legally obliged.
I'd cop the new engine but be a pest in other ways. I'd be asking for the warranty to be extended to 7 years (like they were offering early last year)plus free servicing for 3 years etc. They should give you whatever you want if it's reasonable.

Badgerdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
ZB Calais V
It comes down to what your legal rights are. They're not going to give you a new car unless legally obliged.
I'd cop the new engine but be a pest in other ways. I'd be asking for the warranty to be extended to 7 years (like they were offering early last year)plus free servicing for 3 years etc. They should give you whatever you want if it's reasonable.
Thanks and I agree 100% but if you don't ask then there's absolutely no chance, (realistically probably none anyway).
I like your idea of being a bit of a pest especially with the extended warranty. You guys might be interested to know that in N.Z. we get 3 years complimentary servicing with every new Holden but only 3 years warranty with a 100,000 km limit. Frankly I think I'd rather have a longer warranty and even a 5 year one in the circumstances might be a reasonable ask and is probably what I'll ask for when they turn down the new car request.
5 Years warranty is becoming more common in N.Z. with Ford, BMW, Mazda, Honda, and Kia among others already at 5 years.