Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

///80 Series Monster Bus

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Sabbath', May 7, 2013.

1. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Not yet strike, will be done sometime before 2016.

:p

Started mocking up the rough location the intercooler will sit today. Soewhere abouts here should do nicely.

[​IMG]

2. dingeldei

dingeldei New Member

Members Ride:
    Statesman
    sweet rig, wouldnt mind getting one myself

3. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Finally got around to doing some more work on mocking up the intercooler for install.

I was at first having issues with the height of the intercooler to the bonnet. I removed the lining and that gave me enough clearance to sit it up directly ontop of the rocker cover.

[​IMG]

But that in itself raises a couple of issues.

First being mounting, it sits in a way that it only has clearance when it sits flush onto the rocker cover. So apart from laying down a layer of rubber between it and the rocker cover it's going to be short lived.

The other being the angle of th pipework.

[​IMG]

Im getting a 45 Degree reducer but that's going to require more space to push it over towards the exhaust manifold.

So as i posted a couple of posts ago, probably going to hang it off the hot side of the motor and heat shield it. The radiant heat shouldnt be too much of an effect im hoping as there will be a significant air gap and a double layer of heat shielding.

4. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Started knocking up some brackets for the intercooler, if i mount it over and back a bit more i can keep the airbox > turbo pipe the same as it is now and then just have to play with the hot side.

Decided that i would make brackets with alot of adjustability in them because it's nigh on impossible to place the intercooler strategically while perched on the bullbar.

This was one of the routes i was playing with for the cold side. As you can see, for a big 4wd, there's not much room in the bay with the extra battery shoved in there.
    [​IMG]

Mounting points on the head
    [​IMG]

Brackets i bent up
    [​IMG]

And how they'll attach
    [​IMG]

Aaaaaand...Because Turbo!
    [​IMG]

5. hi_ryder

hi_ryder Donating Member

Members Ride:
    vp calais ls1, vp berlina 3.8L
    v-tec just kicked in yo....

6. HamaTime™

HamaTime™ VIP Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 & RV6 4Runner
    ooooooooooh.

Very nice. I like.

7. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Havent done much on the intercooler side of things as i've loaned the Wagon to my mum because somebody re-arranged the back of her car so it's at the panel beaters.

Finally got the heat probe welded into the dump pipe for the Pyro gauge, temps are actually running really well considering it's an aftermarket turbo setup. And once i put the cooler on i should be able to squeeze some more boost out of it safely.

Also got my exhaust sorted, so it's now 3inches all the way from dump to tip, straight through. Mufflers all deleted.

Short clip.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/4t6u4ukordwowxj/20150507_121556.mp4?dl=0

8. Ed

Ed New Member

Members Ride:
    TDV8 Landcruiser
    3inch straight through, the only way on a diesel!

9. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Pretty messy last couple of weeks in the land of cruiser...

Two weeks ago, had a bit of a family emergency which saw me push the cruiser way past what i should have. I ended up snapping the drivebelts for the waterpump/viscous fan. The belts were due for replacement but hadnt gotten around to it yada yada excuse excuse.

Due to circumstances i decided to keep going, as i was only approx 5 minutes from where we needed to get to.

Didnt end up making it that far. Driving along and the top tank on the radiator blew apart at the seam.

[​IMG]

So that put a stop to the trip. And had to come back the next day and put it on the back of a towtruck. Which the towtruck didnt like very much. Had the cab of the towtruck lifted off the ground by about a foot trying to get the tray up. But made it and got it towed back home.

[​IMG]

Removed the old radiator with the hopes of just getting it re-tanked and going on my way but it had ballooned out before it popped and contacted the viscous fan, causing damage to the core. So sourced a new one thanks to Hi_ryder's ebay skills

3 Core Brass/Copper. For less than $350 with overnight delivery. I did have the opportunity to pick up a 4 core (61mm thickness) but due to running a heat exchanger in the future i didnt want any more thickness than was necessary.

[​IMG]

Removal of the old radiator meant that both batteries, both battery trays and the upper radiator support needed to be removed.
    [​IMG]

10. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Bought a brand new set of belts and hoses as the alternator belts were toast, i had to undo the adjuster bolts and swing it up out of the way to accept the new belts. Decided to do this with the radiator out for more access.

[​IMG]

Which is when i ran into a problem. Being that the adjuster bracket had actually snapped in two different places, meaning the alternator was flopping around under load.

[​IMG]

So to get the bracket off meant removing the viscous fan and waterpump pulley. More work that i really didnt need/want.

[​IMG]

Luckily i'm looking after Paradox's welder for him for a while so decided to try my hand at welding. Never welded anything before so took me a while to get it to a point that i was happy with. Lots of welding and grinding, and grinding and welding. In the end i think i got it pretty good. Enough to get the cruiser started atleast. I've got another one on order, because i dont trust a welded bracket and cant afford for this to happen somewhere remote.

[​IMG]

For a radiator "guaranteed to fit 100%" i ran into issues getting the brackets on because the studs on the radiator are too far apart for the standard holes. Plus they've been painted over so getting the nuts started was a hassle. But the radiator is in now and that's where i left it for the night

[​IMG]

Will most likely pull out the airbox tomorrow and do something about this mess before the battery goes back in. Also contemplating moving the compressor so i have more room for intercooler bracing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And cause i had the camera out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

excuse the gangster lean...it's developed a flat sitting in the backyard for two weeks...cause enough **** hadnt gone wrong already :D

11. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Soooo...progression on the radiator.

[​IMG]

Well...i put the belts and hoses on...so should have filled it with coolant and put it back together and had it running by lunchtime.

But...then **** got retarded.

First, i noticed that there was a touch of water in the drivers side headlight (condensation buildup due to running HID's with no rubber)

[​IMG]

So to get the headlight out you have to pull half the grille out and the parker lens. So it was looking like this

[​IMG]

Logic then stated "hey, you've come this far, why dont you pull the grille out and try mocking up fitment of the heat exchanger. So i did that.

[​IMG]

To get it to fit i had to remove the centre support for the grille. This bracket is going to need to be "massaged" out of the way

[​IMG]

12. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Why stop there! I said to myself....so i didnt.

Out came the airbox

[​IMG]

So that i could re-do the fusebox that i put in a few months back. Working out locations for it, i decided to move the compressor for the Diff Locks.

[​IMG]

Muchos room for activities!

Now with all the extra room i went back to mocking up brackets for the intercooler core itself.

Previously i was working on using this style of bar bent and bolted onto angle bar.

[​IMG]

But since i now have access to a welder i decided to utilise it.

Measuring up
    [​IMG]

Welded
    [​IMG]

And in the car
    [​IMG]

(my welds suck but it's solid and will do the job.)

I had planned to move the air compressor to the opposite side, but i fear that location has been swallowed up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Proof i do all my own stunts. Appropriate PPE included!

[​IMG]

14. rory

rory Donating Member

Members Ride:
    2014 VF SV6 & 2006 Nissan Patrol ST
    That looks like your are getting too close to fire. We all know what happens when Sabbath gets too close to fire.

Good work on the W2A though and sucks about the damage.

15. Jonesy484

Jonesy484 OfficialChadyMeetOrganisr

Members Ride:
    MY12 VE 2 SSV REDLINE WAGON
    I assume the mrs is standing there with a fire extinguisher???

also nice while under the bonnet why not replace bonnet struts?

16. Sandman

Sandman Challenge Accepted

Members Ride:
    HQ VC VZ
    Nah she's taking the photo standing (hiding) behind that window/wall lol.

17. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Had an RDO today, so had a whole day of learning experiences with welding and such.

Trip down to bunnings for more supplies. (then had to go out again later when i ran out of wire and destroyed the last tip. damn welding with a fresh tip is nicer than a chewed up one.)

[​IMG]

Started making up the bracket for the other side of the intercooler. Decided to mount it off the exhaust manifold heat shield bolt holes. Can see one bottom left of pic

[​IMG]

Cut some cross ties out, the angle will become clearer later.

[​IMG]

Aaaand welded on

[​IMG]

The original plan was to weld the 27.5 length onto the end of the crossbar. But decided against it. Mainly when my abilities let me down.

So instead put another piece of angle across from it. which i can also brace off the strut top for extra rigidity.

[​IMG]

And this is approximatly how it will sit

[​IMG]

Mocked up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And those 27.5 lengths i cut before will be welded onto the base for the upright

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  18. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Finished up my intercooler bracket last weekend and gave it a trial fit. It subsequently went straight in the scrap metal bin.

The basic issue was, the only person i know to have put one of these on an 80 series had his motor on a stand while he built the bracket so he could check all his clearances without climbing in and out of the engine bay. Which is an absolute ####. So issues ranged from water and oil feed lines being in the way, to water inlet pipe being blocked, and finally turbo exit being too close to the bracket. So, enjoy my failings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    So roll around to this weekend and decided i should put the thing back together.

Got pissed off with the shitty job i did of the fusebox last time due to lack of space. So now, because i've removed the compressor for the diff locks i could move the fusebox to a more hidden location.

Previous shitfight

[​IMG]

And now.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also started on intercooler bracket 2.0

Couldnt find any angled steel at bunnings, so i made my own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Slowly but surely my welds are getting less pathetic.

20. Sabbath'

Sabbath' Redblock Jesus

Members Ride:
    80 Series// MK5 GTi//
    Update time sine i've started working on this again.

Firstly -

I have a shed now.
    [​IMG]

Swapped the intercooler that i had for another one, was having issues with the in/out locations. The new one:

[​IMG]

Which has lead to this:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Because i've moved the location of the core, i've had to redo all the wiring i did previously. But on the up side, i've been able to plug the compressor for the diff locks straight back in without having to lengthen anything. Not sure where im going to put the reservoir, but thats next weekends problem.

Trayner likes this.