Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yep, one of the big issues with kalmaker is the antiquated GUI i.e it's originally DOS based. The new RT Delco **** is compatible with the newest windows etc and is just as easy to use as any other tuning package. I guess he's not interested in learning the Delco stuff which is fair enough.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Yep, one of the big issues with kalmaker is the antiquated GUI i.e it's originally DOS based. The new RT Delco **** is compatible with the newest windows etc and is just as easy to use as any other tuning package. I guess he's not interested in learning the Delco stuff which is fair enough.

Yeah not only is it DOS based, but you need an ancient laptop to run it. I had to find an old Toshiba brick running Windows 95 in order to run the software. I think when he dusted off his old relic and it nosed over, it was the final straw. Looks like it hadn't been used in a long time, which is probably indicative.

If the demand was there, I think Terry would be interested in looking at the RT Delco with the modern software. But I get the feeling he just doesn't get enough vehicles with this system to warrant his time...... I won't get much for the SP3, so I'll just keep it in the boot as a backup, should the Haltech fail.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
Wow, this has stepped it up since i last checked in on it.
Excited to hear your review of the new setup.
P.s i can get you a oil pump shim for under $5 local to you if you like. Send me a pm if you are keen.

yeah things kind of got out of control.... as they do ;)
I ended up measuring up a couple of flat washers at around 100thou. They seem to fit nicely. So don't think I'll need the shim, but thanks for the offer!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Yeah not only is it DOS based, but you need an ancient laptop to run it. I had to find an old Toshiba brick running Windows 95 in order to run the software. I think when he dusted off his old relic and it nosed over, it was the final straw. Looks like it hadn't been used in a long time, which is probably indicative.

If the demand was there, I think Terry would be interested in looking at the RT Delco with the modern software. But I get the feeling he just doesn't get enough vehicles with this system to warrant his time...... I won't get much for the SP3, so I'll just keep it in the boot as a backup, should the Haltech fail.

Yep, I still have an old laptop here with dual windows install just to run kalmaker but the delco **** came out about the same time so we ditched kalmaker and went straight to the delco RT stuff instead.

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Yeah I can appreciate that - worth the change then in your case! I've just purchased an nvram to have a go at realtime tuning. If if couldn't be done RT I wouldn't bother with it at all lol. I'd spend my whole life trying to figure out what works and what doesn't through trial and error.

Haltech seems to be the go to aftermarket pcm these days anyway so can't go wrong I'm sure.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
well finally after over 9 months of the car off the road, got the engine started on the weekend. Started instantly, first turn of the key. Ran the cam in, no problems so far except for an oil leak from the distributor gasket which I suspect was damaged when I fine tuned the timing with the timing light.

Next need to pull the valve springs out and fit the inner springs. Then get some kays on the engine before taking it back to Paramount Performance for a full tune again.

29468029_10208512786495931_828592937649569792_n.jpg

29468639_10208512787175948_7812385755820457984_n.jpg

Pete D VH SLX

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SLX 4.2 Auto
Hi all,

just joined up. Here's my ride.
I bought it about 5 years ago, as a stock VH SS (4.2L 4spd). It was sold to me by a dodgy sort of guy who had performed a quick paintjob on it and obviously wanted to make a few bucks. It was wtock right down to the original SS 14 inch Cheviot alloy wheels. Engine, gearbox & suspension was stuffed, so I basically drove the thing home on a trade plate, parked it in the garage and pulled it to pieces. I replaced fairly much all of the interior - including recovering the dash(previous owner had removed the SS door trims and seats, fitting beige..... door trims & seats..... great match to the remaining SS dark claret dash & roof lining.... . Replaced all the suspension, built up a warmed 304 out of a VR coupled with a T5 and dropped it in.
It now has a HDT Grp 3 bonnet scoop fitted to accomodate the Trickshift manifold, I also plan on fitting a matching Grp 3 rear boot spoiler when I get the chance.

Model: 82 VH SS Commodore
Engine:Holden EFI 5.0L, balanced, ACL pistons, Crow Cam/valve springs, Rollmaster double row timing chain, Y/T roller rockers, Trickshift TTB intake manifold, Bosch 044 fuel pump, Kalmaker SP3 ECU, tuned by Paramount Performance
Gearbox Borg Warner T5 5 speed & RPM H/D clutch
Exhaust: Pacemaker headers, 3 inch single exhaust, resonator
Suspension: Koni adj shocks f&r, lovell s/l springs, whiteline sway bars, kmac camber adjusters, nolathane bushes, Pedders adjustable panhard rod
Brakes: VN Grp A 330mm front rotors & twin spot calipers, Grp A ventilated rear discs & calipers
Rear Axle: 10 bolt Salisbury 3.08 LSD
Wheels: 16x7 'Walkinshaw', 225/50/16 Toyo R1R Proxes tyres
Interior: recovered dash, re-trimmed velour door cards and rear seat in original 'dark claret', VS front door speaker pods, Cobra Daytona front seats, Momo wheel, electronic VDO speedo painfully....integrated into instrument cluster
other mods: VN 80L fuel tank, oil catch tank/seperator, fuel surge tank, VS steering rack & k-frame, battery in the boot
power: 275 rwhp
future mods: cylinder head port job, 3.36 diff gears with true-trac centre
Hi Darren, that’s an awesome looking VH. Could you advise on what the black piece is on the bottom the front spoiler? Did the group 3 just have a small skirt at the front and rear and no side skirts?
Pete

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
Hi Darren, that’s an awesome looking VH. Could you advise on what the black piece is on the bottom the front spoiler? Did the group 3 just have a small skirt at the front and rear and no side skirts?
Pete
Maybe try message Dazza as he hasn't been on for 4 months and a message should hopefully send him an email notification.
I'm sure he will be more than happy to share information on the subject with you.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
Pete
You could also try him on AV8 under ynotv8.