Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
got any pics with the bonnet scoop on yet darren? i havent seen ya in ages to see what it looks like now.

yeah it's been a while! Last time we caught up was at the Munch Inn wasn't it ? Although I don't think you saw my car - it was a busy night!

I haven't really taken any decent pics since the bonnet scoop went on, kind of waiting until I fit the rear Grp 3 deck spoiler before I take photos. But Ben from BCCC is taking some pics hopefully this weekend, so I will post some up as soon as he posts them up.

DRAD 81, the speedo is a VDO electronic speedo. http://aisat.com/vdoautomotive.html#speedometer
I wanted to get rid of the cable driven speedo as it's been a right pain in the arse since the EFI conversion. Need to run a speed sensor (for ECM) & cable, so had to fit a t-piece to the speedo drive. Couldn't stop it leaking oil and breaking the plastic drive pin, so went for an electronic speedo so I could ditch the cable and run just a speed sensor.

I've always strived to retain the factory looking interior, so took some searching to find a speedo that was close to the factory unit, but finally found the VDO (factory speedo is also VDO) The wiring wasn't a big issue, physically fitting it to the cluster was the biggest drama. Had to hack up a brand new $300 VDO speedo from it's housing, and trim a few bits off. And then some serious modification to the instrument housing to make it fit. But it was all worth it in the end. Great thing about these speedos is you can set the pulses per km to suit your diff ratio, so no need for speed correctors etc when running different diff gears etc.

GetToDaChopa

Blues Brother # 2
Reaction score
Members Ride
The Blues Mobile
I still admire this car, looks great. Btw did you have to have the seats sign off by an engineer, if so how much was it?

VBRED

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black VK Calais 333 Pack
Mate

That thing looks fantastic. What a the door side pods from?

Pete

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
I still admire this car, looks great. Btw did you have to have the seats sign off by an engineer, if so how much was it?

cheers mate,
I originally got an engineer to fit up a pair of Autobarn 'el cheapo SAAS seats - the universal fit seat rails that I bought weren't going to fit without some serious mods (factory VH seat rails can't be seperated from the seats unlike later models) So with seats being such a safety thing, I took the car down to the engineer and got him to make up the necessary brackets etc to adapt the seats to the rails. He also fitted up a modification plate.

The SAAS seats turned out to be crap, so I soon ditched them and bought the Autotecnica's - I had to re-drill some holes on the brackets, but nothing major so didn't need to take it back to the engineer.

I can't remember exactly what the engineer charged me to fit and mod plate, but I reckon I got ripped. I think it ended up costing me over $400.......:hmmm:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
you cant put a price on comfortability

lol true :)
in all honesty I got ripped. The guy wouldn't give me a quote, said he wouldn't know what was involved until he had fit the first seat. He didn't end up even starting the job until the next day, and then calls me after the job was done with the cost. I almost went leg up when I heard how much he was going to charge....

So yeah I think if I had got some quotes first I would have got a better price, but as usual I was in a hurry & paid the price..