Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

SLE-883

Reaction score
Members Ride
1981 VH Commodore SL/E
DRAD 81, the speedo is a VDO electronic speedo. VDO Automotive
I wanted to get rid of the cable driven speedo as it's been a right pain in the arse since the EFI conversion. Need to run a speed sensor (for ECM) & cable, so had to fit a t-piece to the speedo drive. Couldn't stop it leaking oil and breaking the plastic drive pin, so went for an electronic speedo so I could ditch the cable and run just a speed sensor.

I've always strived to retain the factory looking interior, so took some searching to find a speedo that was close to the factory unit, but finally found the VDO (factory speedo is also VDO) The wiring wasn't a big issue, physically fitting it to the cluster was the biggest drama. Had to hack up a brand new $300 VDO speedo from it's housing, and trim a few bits off. And then some serious modification to the instrument housing to make it fit. But it was all worth it in the end. Great thing about these speedos is you can set the pulses per km to suit your diff ratio, so no need for speed correctors etc when running different diff gears etc.

Thanks. It looks great and fits well.
What's the red light on the bottom right of the speedo for?

B.J.

Always Holden
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VP SPORT WAGON
thats nice mate very clean

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON

frosty_82