Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

82 vh ss

hastey

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS Series 1 Auto
Love the work you've done to her, very sweet looking VH!!

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
a few videos from a recent track day at Qld Raceway. First 2 videos are a bit shaky, girlfriend's first go at the video camera, no tripod.... But it gets better as the video goes along :)
Was a fun day out, reached 195km down the back straight on the national circuit layout. We ran 3 different circuit layouts on the day

Last edited by a moderator:

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
went to my second track day on Friday
Lakeside raceway. Had an awesome day, my best time for the day was 1.11.58
front tyres copped a hiding, but hey it was worth it :yahoo:

some of the highlights here

Last edited by a moderator:

quick308

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 Landrover disco series 1, 2006 Street Bob
This reminds me of my vh, only it was silver, bought it up your way in Toowoomba 5 years ago. My biggest regret is i never took it down the quarter mile or round the race track, such a waste after all the money i spent on it. Anyway nice car mate, look after it.

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
man that is one freaking nice vh, i really love the vhs. the early commodores are so nice. im really keen to get one for project/daily. keep up the good work with yours

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
This reminds me of my vh, only it was silver, bought it up your way in Toowoomba 5 years ago. My biggest regret is i never took it down the quarter mile or round the race track, such a waste after all the money i spent on it. Anyway nice car mate, look after it.
cheers, I certainly plan on looking after it - this car is a keeper, it will stay with me. And it's no longer a daily, for that reason. It only comes out of the garage for the fun stuff like cruises/drives and track days etc Yeah I highly recommend to anyone who has put a bit of effort into their car to head out on a track day and enjoy the car. It's the only place where you want to see what speed the radar clocked you at ;) Sure is awesome feeling taking the car you built out on the circuit and enjoying all the work you put into it. A lot of driver skill involved too, which you improve on continually as you learn the correct racing lines/apexes, braking, corner approach/exit speeds, best gear.

man that is one freaking nice vh, i really love the vhs. the early commodores are so nice. im really keen to get one for project/daily. keep up the good work with yours
thanks champ, although I do appreciate the later model Commodores, my favourites are always the first generation (favourite is the VH), especially if they have an Aussie Holden V8 under the bonnet. I hope you get your project car soon :)

RazzaCaine

Long Gone Now
Reaction score
Members Ride
---
thanks champ, although I do appreciate the later model Commodores, my favourites are always the first generation (favourite is the VH), especially if they have an Aussie Holden V8 under the bonnet. I hope you get your project car soon :)
yeah im hoping to find one soon. theres a vh at a local dealer in reasonable condition, just a pov spec 202 auto for $700. if its still there next week *fingers crossed* im going to offer them $500 cash and then cover it up on the driveaway until next month after uni has finished and then ill have 3 months to work on it and around $3500 cash to spend on it

old mate

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
VB Sedan / GU Patrol
hi mate, just wondering how you found the height of the acceleraton or pedal compared with the brake pedal when doing heel'toe shenanigans? how were the brakes? love to get my vb out on the track, but it still needs a bit of work.

reason i ask about the pedal heights is that on my vb (i converted from auto, but all should be sweet) the throttle pedal is too high for me and heel toe changes is pretty uncomfortable. like really uncomfortable.

Darren_L

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SS
yeah im hoping to find one soon. theres a vh at a local dealer in reasonable condition, just a pov spec 202 auto for $700. if its still there next week *fingers crossed* im going to offer them $500 cash and then cover it up on the driveaway until next month after uni has finished and then ill have 3 months to work on it and around $3500 cash to spend on it

should be able to wheel & deal on a stocko 6 auto. There isn't many decent one around anymore but still seem to pick them up for a decent price.
My previous VH (which also happened to be my first car) was a beige SL 202 auto. I dropped a 5L and manual conversion into it after about 12 months of owning it. Not a difficult job, although finding a V8 manual pedal bracket assembly might be a bit of a challenge these days. All the best with it, make sure you post some pictures up if you get it.

hi mate, just wondering how you found the height of the acceleraton or pedal compared with the brake pedal when doing heel'toe shenanigans? how were the brakes? love to get my vb out on the track, but it still needs a bit of work.

reason i ask about the pedal heights is that on my vb (i converted from auto, but all should be sweet) the throttle pedal is too high for me and heel toe changes is pretty uncomfortable. like really uncomfortable.

yeah on the street, I find the pedal heights to be a bit of a pain in the arse for heel & toe - throttle is too high, so you tend to lean on the brake harder when you hit the throttle because your foot ends up at some strange angle. So I usually end up jamming the brakes on too hard when I stab the throttle on the downshift. But surprisingly it wasn't an issue on the track - I did stuff up a couple, but most were good. I think the main reason being is when you are on the brakes into a corner on the track, you tend to be standing on them fairly hard, so giving the throttle a jab with the heel doesn't really effect the toe-braking at all like it does on the street.

I have upgraded my front brakes to 330mm twin piston VN Grp A spec. I've got the QFM A1RM pads front & rear and TRW Grand Prix 600 high temp brake fluid which also make a big difference. The Lakeside track in the video above wasn't very tough on brakes, I reckon a set of VL turbo/V8 finned front calipers & rotors, a good set of pads and high temp brake fluid would easily cope. However the previous track day at Queensland Raceway, was very tough on brakes. Most of the guys with standard brakes (even on the VE Commodores) were running out of brakes at the end of a 6 lap session. So really depends on the track. Having said that, the VN Grp A brakes on my VH had no dramas - big front brakes, lighter car. But first thing I would do is upgrade your brake fluid to competition spec, and some good brake pads and see how it goes from there.

Last edited:

chrisso 82

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB commodore
Hey mate just went thru your pics and stuff that is one tough VH GREAT WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!